1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Best place to buy front brake pads for 88 Dakota 3.9 V6 2WD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 08:01 AM
Josh89Griffin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to buy front brake pads for 88 Dakota 3.9 V6 2WD?

Where is the best place to buy front brake pads for my 88 Dakota 3.9 V6 2WD single cab pickup? The front brake pads from NAPA are riveted & I don't like brake pads that are riveted, due to the fact that I am afraid that when the pads wear down, the rivets will be able to wear into the rotors. That's just my fear, may not be nothing to it!

Old 05-09-2017, 08:37 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh89Griffin
Where is the best place to buy front brake pads for my 88 Dakota 3.9 V6 2WD single cab pickup? The front brake pads from NAPA are riveted & I don't like brake pads that are riveted, due to the fact that I am afraid that when the pads wear down, the rivets will be able to wear into the rotors. That's just my fear, may not be nothing to it!
That's called "pad wear"; and I always replace the rotor when I do brakes anyway.

Also, I've had "bonded" pads lose the pad material. I prefer riveted.

However.

You can always check out The Usual Suspect (Rockauto.COM) and pick pads from there.

RwP

Old 05-09-2017, 08:45 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I buy brake parts locally. That way, if I have issues, I can take care of it with them instead of over the internet. You also get lifetime warranties on parts purchased through chains (advance auto, autozone, o'reillys, etc) I buy the middle of the road stuff. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. Never had a problem.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:19 AM
Josh89Griffin
Professional

RalphP, I work at NAPA! I always change rotors when I put new pads. It only makes sense! I don't buy the cheapest brake parts either because I want some good stopping power.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:22 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh89Griffin
RalphP, I work at NAPA! I always change rotors when I put new pads. It only makes sense! I don't buy the cheapest brake parts either because I want some good stopping power.
*nod* Especially since we should be relubing the bearings, and replacing the inner seals, every time we do the brakes ALSO.

Last job I did I put in Timken bearings inner and outer and Raybestos rotor/hubs. And Raybestos riveted brake pads ...

RockAuto does have pics, so you can verify that, for instance, the Midas pads are bonded, but the Raybestos premium pads are riveted, etc.

Just keep good pads and rotors on it, and keep those bearings greased.

RwP

Old 05-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Josh89Griffin
Professional

Will do! Thanks RalphP!