1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

plugs....wires......argggh

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Kafka45
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default plugs....wires......argggh

Ok.. I was a good grandpa and bought the grandson in laws 89 Dakota LE with a manual no less. Now I need to "do" a few things to it to make it more user friendly. Its time to do plugs and a new wire set (take my word for it) so after doing some research WHAT PLUGS are a good match for this 3.9L engine.. its got OLD autolite 65's now. But cripes.. there's platinum.. double plat... iridium...etc...etc..... since they're easy to get to its not a one and done forever thing... just looking for some advice. A good wire set recommendation would be good too, (the after market radio in this thing stinks too, horrible station bleed through).... ah well.

thanks......

K

ps. It has 108000 miles......

Last edited by Kafka45; 06-16-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:03 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Plugs - Go copper.

The copper work better when new, and if they're easy to replace, don't worry about the fact they don't last as long since they're easy to get to.

I'd HIGHLY recommend using anti-seize on the plugs, though.

Wires - A good quality wire will do. I'm using AutoLite myself; but there's several other good brands. Just don't buy the CHEAP version.

Cap/Rotor - Again, a good brand; there's several.

Here's one choice - RockAuto has a plug/wire/cap/rotor combo: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...une-up+kit,684

Don't forget the fuel filter on the frame underneath; yes, it has a fuel filter there and a fuel filter in the tank; but the one in the tank is a LOT harder to swap *grins*

Also, air filter while you're doing it.

I'd do the intake filter and PCV valve while there; the Fram will up the oil consumption, but I had a fairly new front seal blow on the Mopar one.

RwP

Old 06-16-2017, 06:26 PM
Kafka45
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did the air filter....fuel filter.........(not the tank).. pcv next .. have to find the intake filter..(haven't looked to be honest).. the hood on this thing is HEAVY... thanks for the info.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:38 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Kafka45
did the air filter....fuel filter.........(not the tank).. pcv next .. have to find the intake filter..(haven't looked to be honest).. the hood on this thing is HEAVY... thanks for the info.
The intake is fairly obvious ... on the passenger side, there's a fitting that is piped up to the intake housing.

Here's a link to the RockAuto listing:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...ather+cap,5268

RwP

Old 06-17-2017, 05:47 PM
dakota1611
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The United Motor tuneup kit on Rockauto is a good deal, the parts are all US made and high quality (brass terminals).