1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Odds and ends shared with other cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:56 AM
WiLiV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odds and ends shared with other cars?

Since getting my dak and going to a few junkyards i've noticed that in the 90's chrysler had a "parts bin" and a lot of stuff is the same for most of their models. mostly it's interior controls and things of that nature. the turn signal stalk, pedals, light controls, climate controls, ect.

Does anyone know of some less obvious components that were shared between models?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2017, 09:16 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WiLiV
Since getting my dak and going to a few junkyards i've noticed that in the 90's chrysler had a "parts bin" and a lot of stuff is the same for most of their models. mostly it's interior controls and things of that nature. the turn signal stalk, pedals, light controls, climate controls, ect.

Does anyone know of some less obvious components that were shared between models?

Thanks
Because the cars were all front wheel drive (except the Viper) at that time, you'll find mostly just interior pieces that may match up to your Dakota. *****, switches, radios, etc., are often the same. Other manufacturers did the same, as I guess it doesn't pay to design a turn signal stalk for each vehicle.

Engine, drive line, steering and even some suspension parts have a great degree of commonality among the trucks and vans. Engines are very much the same, only the accessories vary, especially when it comes to the Jeeps, where you might find the starter on the opposite side of the transmission, a different power steering pump, and stuff like that. Rear ends may be the same except some are wider, Jeeps may use coils instead of leafs, etc.