1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Please help with these two issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 08:28 PM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with these two issues!

1. Power windows. Previousky, drivers window rolled up and down. Passenger window rolled up/down from passenger switch but not driver switch . One day all windows stopped working - stuck rolled up. I bought a 30 amp circuit breaker to replace it which worked once. I rolled the windows down, then later that night went to roll them up again and they didn't work. I bought another circuit breaker (aftermarket) from a parts store and put that in; nothing happened.

2. Loud hissing sound. I start it up and after a minute it'll start hissing, barely audible at first but getting progressively louder - the louder the hissing gets, the more the engine starts sputtering until it dies completely. It sounds like it's coming from the throttle body. Whenever I'm driving it's fine but when I'm waiting at a stop light or in a drive thru it will keep idling lower and lower and acting like it wants to die to where I have to put it in park and gently tap the gas every now and then to keep it from dying.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and help

Last edited by 93422; 07-05-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-05-2017, 09:13 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93422
1. Power windows. Previousky, drivers window rolled up and down. Passenger window rolled up/down from passenger switch but not driver switch . One day all windows stopped working - stuck rolled up. I bought a 30 amp circuit breaker to replace it which worked once. I rolled the windows down, then later that night went to roll them up again and they didn't work. I bought another circuit breaker (aftermarket) from a parts store and put that in; nothing happened.

2. Loyd hissing soy does. I start it up and after a minute it'll start hissing, barely audible at first but getting progressively louder - the louder the hissing gets, the more the engine starts sputtering until it dies completely. It sounds like it's coming from the throttle body. Whenever I'm driving it's fine but when I'm waiting at a stop light or in a drive thru it will keep idling lower and lower and acting like it wants to die to where I have to put it in park and gently tap the gas every now and then to keep it from dying.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and help
The window issue sounds like two problems to me. You probably had a bad driver's side switch for the passenger side window originally and now you have a new issue affecting both sides, which could be a poor ground. Do you have a multi-meter, or a 12v test light? Start by checking power at both sides of the relay, the switch side and then the actual motor side. If you have 12v available on both sides either the relay isn't energizing (its bad), or you have a bad ground farther down the line. Its not very likely that both remaining good switches failed together of course.

The hissing noise is probably a vacuum leak, which will primarily affect the idle. Could be a cracked hose, or someone has been working around the engine and left something unplugged. A crack might not be easy to spot but there are places where hoses are more likely to crack/split and you might save time checking there first. Places that experience the most heat cause hoses to harden and crack over time. Check hoses anywhere they connect to the engine, or where they come near the exhaust.

Last edited by ragged89; 07-05-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:09 AM
Justin Martin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hissing noise

more than likely is a vacuum leak, if you cant find any cracked or disconnected hoses it may be your plenuim gasket, in that case the intake will need to be removed and the gasket replaced (there are kits available that are supposed to fix this defect) (also check to make sure your pcv valve in in tight and not damaged, had it happen to me multiple times, the ones from the auto stores dont last more than a few months unlike the oem ones which seem to last years)