1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Just test drove a 4wd Dakota, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just test drove a 4wd Dakota, have questions

Hi. I have a 94 2wd Dakota slt, 3.9.

i just test drive a 93 4wd Dakota se, 3.9

was going to buy it but on the fence. Should a trans cooler make it hard shifting? My truck shifts pretty smooth refined. 4x4 truck shifts are at higher rpm and more abrupt.

The gas gas pedal is totally different. On my truck it feels normal like a million other trucks. 4wd one was almost no resistance, then a lot of resistance.

Ride quality is is totally different. 4wd seems much stiffer and not as refined.

It was was much slower, seemed to struggle to get up to 75. It was also much louder, seems like lots of noise from 4wd lever.

super on the fence

Old 07-21-2017, 03:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

was going to buy it but on the fence. Should a trans cooler make it hard shifting? No. My truck shifts pretty smooth refined. 4x4 truck shifts are at higher rpm and more abrupt. Maybe geared differently

The gas gas pedal is totally different. On my truck it feels normal like a million other trucks. 4wd one was almost no resistance, then a lot of resistance. Possibly binding of the TB or cable itself. Inspect both.

Ride quality is is totally different. 4wd seems much stiffer and not as refined. 4wd has a stiffer suspension foe added weight?

It was was much slower, seemed to struggle to get up to 75. It was also much louder, seems like lots of noise from 4wd lever. More weight, more rotating mass + same engine

Old 07-22-2017, 12:32 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cash68

was going to buy it but on the fence. Should a trans cooler make it hard shifting? My truck shifts pretty smooth refined. 4x4 truck shifts are at higher rpm and more abrupt.

The gas gas pedal is totally different. On my truck it feels normal like a million other trucks. 4wd one was almost no resistance, then a lot of resistance.

Ride quality is is totally different. 4wd seems much stiffer and not as refined.

It was was much slower, seemed to struggle to get up to 75. It was also much louder, seems like lots of noise from 4wd lever.

super on the fence
First, need to know how much the guy wants for it. Everything is fixable, and on these trucks everything is pretty dang easy.

Suspension - can't give much feedback there. I've never driven a 2wd Dakota. Mines a v8 auto long bed 4x4 and still rides like a dream with the tbars cranked AND coil over shocks in the back.

Power - well, here's food for thought: mopars 5.2 v8 and gms 4.3 v6 have ALMOST the same specs. So, think what the 3.9 is like with 2 less cylinders.. that said, there's a plethora of things: needs a tune up, air filter, cat clogged and more then likely, a blown plenum gasket. I mean the 3.9 will never be a powerhouse or a get away vehicle, but, doing basic things would probably a night and day difference on that truck. Could also have dragging breaks maybe.

Transmission - again, mines a v8 auto, shifts butter smooth. Could need bands adjusted, or, being that's a weak 42re, it could be toast. But, transmissions are cheap for these trucks, and 5 speed swaps are real easy. However, that noise from the 4wd lever sounds like the converter or tcase. More then like converter with the rough shifts you said. Is the transmission fluid pink and bright and at level?

Gas pedal - could be bushings are bad, or there's a small bind in the cable, or, maybe something under the pedal you didn't see or think about in the drive like a floor mat..

That all said, still might be worth it depending on the price, miles, and shape of the truck being it's a perfect twin to yours. If the price is right, could be a perfect donor shell for a 318/360 nv3500 or 46rh swap.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
First, need to know how much the guy wants for it. Everything is fixable, and on these trucks everything is pretty dang easy.

Suspension - can't give much feedback there. I've never driven a 2wd Dakota. Mines a v8 auto long bed 4x4 and still rides like a dream with the tbars cranked AND coil over shocks in the back.

Power - well, here's food for thought: mopars 5.2 v8 and gms 4.3 v6 have ALMOST the same specs. So, think what the 3.9 is like with 2 less cylinders.. that said, there's a plethora of things: needs a tune up, air filter, cat clogged and more then likely, a blown plenum gasket. I mean the 3.9 will never be a powerhouse or a get away vehicle, but, doing basic things would probably a night and day difference on that truck. Could also have dragging breaks maybe.

Transmission - again, mines a v8 auto, shifts butter smooth. Could need bands adjusted, or, being that's a weak 42re, it could be toast. But, transmissions are cheap for these trucks, and 5 speed swaps are real easy. However, that noise from the 4wd lever sounds like the converter or tcase. More then like converter with the rough shifts you said. Is the transmission fluid pink and bright and at level?

Gas pedal - could be bushings are bad, or there's a small bind in the cable, or, maybe something under the pedal you didn't see or think about in the drive like a floor mat..

That all said, still might be worth it depending on the price, miles, and shape of the truck being it's a perfect twin to yours. If the price is right, could be a perfect donor shell for a 318/360 nv3500 or 46rh swap.
Understood, but I'm not looking for a huge project. I have an old 911 that needs a lot of love, and a 95 S6 Avant that is currently broken while I stockpile parts for it.

Anyway, I wound up passing. The driver's sill was rotten. If the truck had been 100% solid, I might have pulled the trigger, I just HATE rust. That thing scared me off with the super odd transmission shifting, and I don't want to have to deal with that. I'll keep looking, and in the meantime throw money at my current truck.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:29 PM
Puppet623
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash68

super on the fence

Ok this is more my area cause I own an old TBI v6 4X4 long bed. UGH.

The transmission probably needs its bands adjusted. I have the same problem. As long maintenance was done these trucks will run a very long time.

If the throttle cable is not smooth it needs some lube poured into it or its started to fray which isn't good. Test the Throttle body where the cable attached to make sure that's not bad somehow.

This truck since 4X4 is at least 600 pounds heavier due to T-case and other reinforcements. I have a ton of problems accelerating up to 75 also XD. I would check vac lines and what not. It causes lots of problems with leaks.

The noise is normal if you turn 4WD on but if there is noise could mean that the T-case needs a rebuild cause these cases are notorious to get loose chains that wear the case away and leave big holes. If not maintained they are suppose to be.

I'll be swapping mine top a v8 93 with a 46rh .

Old 07-23-2017, 11:35 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Puppet623
Ok this is more my area cause I own an old TBI v6 4X4 long bed. UGH.

The transmission probably needs its bands adjusted. I have the same problem. As long maintenance was done these trucks will run a very long time.

If the throttle cable is not smooth it needs some lube poured into it or its started to fray which isn't good. Test the Throttle body where the cable attached to make sure that's not bad somehow.

This truck since 4X4 is at least 600 pounds heavier due to T-case and other reinforcements. I have a ton of problems accelerating up to 75 also XD. I would check vac lines and what not. It causes lots of problems with leaks.

The noise is normal if you turn 4WD on but if there is noise could mean that the T-case needs a rebuild cause these cases are notorious to get loose chains that wear the case away and leave big holes. If not maintained they are suppose to be.

I'll be swapping mine top a v8 93 with a 46rh .
Uhh.. no. These tcases aren't known for anything given they're treated properly and not abused passed their limits. It's the same tcase as in the Jeep everyone beats the **** out of. While not super strong, they take a pounding with out care mostly.

Quick Reply: Just test drove a 4wd Dakota, have questions