1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Front suspension rust

Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 PM
cky4987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension rust

Took the passenger side tire off earlier to look at front suspension and found a good amount of rust. I've read the shock towers prone to rust issues and mine seemed to be in pretty bad shape so I did some investigating with a hammer and wire wheel. The sides of the shock tower that form the wells where crud collects were toast and crumbled to pieces after a few whacks. I wire wheeled the surrounding area and after hitting at it for a bit with the hammer it honestly seems pretty solid. However, banging towards where it mounts to the frame revealed a soft spot which I knocked through. Figured I post some pictures for others to take a look. I didn't have time to check on driver
side but I'm assuming it will be in quite similar condition. The rest of the frame is pretty solid minus the mount that holds the bump stop. I paid $600 bucks for the truck last winter "inspected" (stickers didn't match the vin).and honestly would be happy to get 3-5 years out of it for what I paid. However, I worry about the rust with Pennsylvania inspection Don't really know what they'll pass with rust . I also don't have access to a welder. Opinions or suggested fixes appreciated!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:20 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

An all too familiar sight I'm afraid. Not much you can do without a welder except douse the whole thing in old oil or fluid film and get as much life out of it as you can. It's really not worth cleaning it up and painting it I don't think. Just keep it wet with oil or something and maybe it'll give you another couple years.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 PM
cky4987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
An all too familiar sight I'm afraid. Not much you can do without a welder except douse the whole thing in old oil or fluid film and get as much life out of it as you can. It's really not worth cleaning it up and painting it I don't think. Just keep it wet with oil or something and maybe it'll give you another couple years.

Yeah, wish I would have picked up welding when I was younger, or at least find a buddy who did. Even so, I guess I'd be looking at having someone fabricate a new shock tower when that goes or finding a donor at the junkyard. It's a shame, I really enjoyed this truck, but I'm at the point where I'm contemplating dumping it and buying something else. Rust is a major issue up here on trucks this age and even up into the early 2000's models. Would like to find another Dakota if possible.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:27 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cky4987
Yeah, wish I would have picked up welding when I was younger, or at least find a buddy who did. Even so, I guess I'd be looking at having someone fabricate a new shock tower when that goes or finding a donor at the junkyard. It's a shame, I really enjoyed this truck, but I'm at the point where I'm contemplating dumping it and buying something else. Rust is a major issue up here on trucks this age and even up into the early 2000's models. Would like to find another Dakota if possible.
Yeah you don't have to tell me. CT resident...we use lots of salt. My frame rotted in the same place.

If you cruise Craigslist for a while you can probably find a truck someone brought up from the south. You'll pay a bit more but it's absolutely worth it. Actually seems to happen relatively often, you just can't be real picky about color, options, etc., Ya take what you can get. Keep an eye out. Once you got a rot free truck, fight to keep it that way!

Old 08-09-2017, 04:30 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

If you have to drive it I'd follow tbugden's recommendations and maybe save this truck for parts. If you want to MIG welding is not very difficult to learn and you can get a machine at Harbor Freight cheap. If I were to buy one I'd spend the money on a Lincoln or the one in this video
(oops posted a wrong link) That hole I would clean up the backside and weld the patch in there first and then weld it solid on this side.

Search this Thread