1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Timing chain broken?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Jon Johnston
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain broken?

I picked up a 92 for $200. Guy said it was not getting spark. I tested the coil. Its fine.
picked up a dis. Shaft at a junk yard. Put it in and the truck fired then back fired.
Decided to put the motor at TDC. Then line up the rotor to number one plug wire.
When turning the crank by hand i noticed the rotor not turning.
Shouldnt it turn when the motor is turned.
Does that mean the timing chain is broke if the rotor is not turning with the crank. Also its not to hard to turn the crank with a braker bar. . .

Old 08-11-2017, 11:45 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Something's broken.

I'd pull the plugs and see if the pistons are moving; you may be lucky and have a bad crank bolt.

I'd also see if you can hand crank it over with a flywheel tool (works on the teeth on a Mopar torque converter also), and if it then moves the pistons.

Also, look down into the valve cover; make sure the valves are moving. If they are, the cam drive is working.

Last but not least, at that price, if body and frame are sound, pull the timing chain cover, and plan on rebuilding or replacing the motor.

RwP

Old 08-12-2017, 12:25 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain

I figured if i couldnt get the 92. V6 sport running then i would swap my 93 V8 Le and put it in the sport.
the tranny is starting to slip in the 93. 92 is a manual.
The sport also has a straight body and descent paint. My 93 is primered and has a few places that need body work. Including the rear of the bed.
was hopping to get the V6 running while i rebuilt the V8. But now i think i will swap the motors and buy a 360 to rebuild.
thanks for your input

Old 08-12-2017, 12:47 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon Johnston
I figured if i couldnt get the 92. V6 sport running then i would swap my 93 V8 Le and put it in the sport.
the tranny is starting to slip in the 93. 92 is a manual.
The sport also has a straight body and descent paint. My 93 is primered and has a few places that need body work. Including the rear of the bed.
was hopping to get the V6 running while i rebuilt the V8. But now i think i will swap the motors and buy a 360 to rebuild.
thanks for your input
be easy on the ax15 thats in it now when you swap the v8. It wont last long being used any kind of hard behind a v8.