1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Carrier Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:40 PM
DakotaSteve92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrier Bearing

Does anyone have experience removing and replacing the carrier bearing (sometimes called the driveshaft center bearing)? I am trying to get the old bearing off the driveshaft of my 92.
Thanks in advance!

Old 11-12-2017, 09:17 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

yup many times. they can be a pain. will probably have to peel the hanger and rubber insulator off and cut the outer cage and then the race. Cut "almost" all the way thru (cutoff tool with grinding wheel works best but a Dremel can be used if you go slow and stop to let it cool often while cutting off, they have cutoff wheel attachments) You don't want to cut into the driveshaft, "barely a scratch" wont hurt but you don't want to cut into it at all if you can help it... cut "almost" thru it then take a chisel and hammer to split it the rest of the way then it should slide off.
sometimes I cut with the grinding wheel in 2 spots 1/3 to 1/2 way across from each other, just have to crack with chisel at 1 point though.