1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Low oil pressure...88 Dakota 3.9 V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018 | 05:17 PM
Josh89Griffin
|
Professional
Default Low oil pressure...88 Dakota 3.9 V6

I noticed today, while driving my 88 Dakota 3.9 V6, that the oil pressure gauge was reading lower that normal. Usually while driving, the oil pressure gauge is about halfway.
I will be changing the oil in a couple of days. Right now I am using a Purolator oil filter, NAPA 10W-40 motor oil(3 quarts), and 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2018 | 05:54 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Josh89Griffin
I noticed today, while driving my 88 Dakota 3.9 V6, that the oil pressure gauge was reading lower that normal. Usually while driving, the oil pressure gauge is about halfway.
I will be changing the oil in a couple of days. Right now I am using a Purolator oil filter, NAPA 10W-40 motor oil(3 quarts), and 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Has the weather turned warmer?

Old 02-28-2018 | 06:30 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Josh89Griffin
Any suggestions? Thanks!
3 + 1 = 4; the filter takes some oil also.

Two more things:

1) If you've never changed the oil pressure sending unit, you may need to put that on your list.

0) But before you do that, PUSH both the wires back into the sending unit; mine had the wires creeping out so it'd register very low.

And if those two both don't help (hint: If you add PTFE tape, "tef tape", don't cover the end threads; Teftape is an insulator, and it grounds through the block!) then I'd be worried about bearing wear.

RwP

Old 03-01-2018 | 08:04 AM
Josh89Griffin
|
Professional

The temperature hasn't changed & I have changed the oil sending unit. I will make sure the connector is plugged into it all the way. I will probably change the oil to 20W-50 & go from there.

Originally Posted by RalphP
3 + 1 = 4; the filter takes some oil also.

Two more things:

1) If you've never changed the oil pressure sending unit, you may need to put that on your list.

0) But before you do that, PUSH both the wires back into the sending unit; mine had the wires creeping out so it'd register very low.

And if those two both don't help (hint: If you add PTFE tape, "tef tape", don't cover the end threads; Teftape is an insulator, and it grounds through the block!) then I'd be worried about bearing wear.

RwP

Old 03-01-2018 | 08:43 AM
Blue Moon
Amateur

Keep us updated on how you get on

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure...88 Dakota 3.9 V6