1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota radio doesn’t work

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018 | 09:12 AM
Josephrking
|
Rookie
Default 93 Dakota radio doesn’t work

hey guys,

curious if you guys can tell me what size aftermarket radio I would need to replace stock.

the stock radio turns on fine all that but the FM stations won’t play, AM radio works just fine though. Any idea the problem?

maybe what all I need?

Thanks
joe

Old 03-02-2018 | 09:45 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Go to crutchfield.com. They will set you up with everything you need.

Old 03-02-2018 | 03:27 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Josephrking
hey guys,

curious if you guys can tell me what size aftermarket radio I would need to replace stock.

the stock radio turns on fine all that but the FM stations won’t play, AM radio works just fine though. Any idea the problem?

maybe what all I need?

Thanks
joe
Agreed on the crutchfield suggestion, but in general, the Radio is a 1.5 Din hole. So a 2 Din radio won't fit, and hardly anyone but restoration companies sell 1.5 Din radios and they are big $$. Best bet is go with a single Din and a Metra adapter which will fit your 1.5 din hole and secure the single Din radio. You'll end up with a little storage slot for CD/DVDS provided by the metra adapter plate.

Beyond that, you'll need a Metra or similar adapter harness that will allow your new radio to plug into the factory wiring harness of the truck. Crutchfield will tell you the exact part # you need. That's about it to purchase. From there it's pretty much plug and play. You'll need to crimp/solder the ground braid from the old radio to the new harness if you want to use the same ground point.

If you decide to change speakers, the rears are 5x7/6x9's and pretty much fit the existing mounting holes. The doors are an odd size and are actually the not so common 6" rounds. Most brick and mortars only sell 6.5" and 5.25", neither which will fit without modifications.

Old 03-14-2018 | 01:05 AM
DAHEMIKOTA
Amateur
Talking Radio

Originally Posted by robertmee
Agreed on the crutchfield suggestion, but in general, the Radio is a 1.5 Din hole. So a 2 Din radio won't fit, and hardly anyone but restoration companies sell 1.5 Din radios and they are big $$. Best bet is go with a single Din and a Metra adapter which will fit your 1.5 din hole and secure the single Din radio. You'll end up with a little storage slot for CD/DVDS provided by the metra adapter plate.

Beyond that, you'll need a Metra or similar adapter harness that will allow your new radio to plug into the factory wiring harness of the truck. Crutchfield will tell you the exact part # you need. That's about it to purchase. From there it's pretty much plug and play. You'll need to crimp/solder the ground braid from the old radio to the new harness if you want to use the same ground point.

If you decide to change speakers, the rears are 5x7/6x9's and pretty much fit the existing mounting holes. The doors are an odd size and are actually the not so common 6" rounds. Most brick and mortars only sell 6.5" and 5.25", neither which will fit without modifications.
Where you at? I got a 1994 radio you can have for the price of shipping. Took it out when I changed my instrument panel. Don't need a radio because I would rather listen to the engine. Dan

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota radio doesn’t work