1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Door Locks and Accuator

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Ruff16965
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Locks and Accuator

Evening all,

So the door locks on both sides stopped working about a month ago, I finally got the door panels pulled last week and today was able to start tracing wires and check connectors, got the passenger side working in under 2 minutes, the plug was loose, got it pushed back in and it works fine.

The driver's side, even after unplugging and replugging and then following the wires and checking each plug I can get nothing, not even a click when I hit the lock/unlock. So I am assuming the actuator is dead.

It is on the inside of the door on my 1993 Dakota and I am working through the cut outs and by feel. I don't seem to find any screws, don't really see any on the back, besides a black plastic circle that seems to be a barb of some kind. So does it just pop on and off? How easy is it to change? Besides Pick and Pull/junk yards, maybe Craigslist is someone is parting one out any sources for parts? What other years and vehicles can I pull one from?

Old 05-05-2018, 01:59 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Before you go that far, follow the wire to the first connector from the actuator (may be ON the actuator). Pull it, and with a trouble light attached, see if the light goes on when you go lock or unlock.

If not, check the output of the switch and see if the switch is dead, or if the wiring is bad.

I think you'll actually find screws holding it in place.

The 1995 FSM has a picture of where the screws are; I've attached a PDF of that page from the manual.

The solenoid itself lists as NLA; however, there's a nice long list of source vehicles at this page: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com.../04467251.html

RwP

Quick Reply: Door Locks and Accuator