1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 Dakota 2.2l fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 10:08 AM
ughmas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Dakota 2.2l fuel pump

Hey all, new to the forum and new to owning a Dakota, bought an 87 Dakota 2.2 5sp project that has been sitting still in a parking lot for 10 years, trying to get it running as a barn beater.

Long story short - tackling the fuel system first, it had some old gas varnish built up in it - trying to locate and replace the fuel pump and I am getting some conflicting information - the gas inlet and outlet lines were already disconnected in the engine bay when I bought it (I have the bed off and access to the whole lines)

I have the Haynes manual and from other resources they all show that the 87-88 2.2l has a mechanical fuel pump bolted into the engine block. I know exactly what it should look like from shopping replacements, but I have looked at everything inside the engine bay and I cannot for the life of me, find where its located. Does anyone have some insight on this?

Thanks in advance, I can provide pictures if needed.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:31 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

You won't find it in the engine bay, but on the engine.

The parts list show the same engine and fuel pump for 1987 and 1988; here's the page from my 1988 FSM on where the pump is, and how the fuel lines run, attached as a PDF.

RwP

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1988_Dakota_2.2_Fuel_Pump.PDF (180.4 KB, 96 views)
Old 05-09-2018, 08:23 AM
ughmas

Originally Posted by RalphP
You won't find it in the engine bay, but on the engine.

The parts list show the same engine and fuel pump for 1987 and 1988; here's the page from my 1988 FSM on where the pump is, and how the fuel lines run, attached as a PDF.

RwP
Thanks so much for the diagram and info, that is exactly where I expected it to be based on looking around the web... however when I look on that part of the engine I simply dont see it, or where it would bolt in... I see the AC compressor oil filter distributor and everything else but nothing that looks like the fuel pump... I will try to take a picture when I get home.

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 AM
ughmas

Originally Posted by ughmas
Thanks so much for the diagram and info, that is exactly where I expected it to be based on looking around the web... however when I look on that part of the engine I simply dont see it, or where it would bolt in... I see the AC compressor oil filter distributor and everything else but nothing that looks like the fuel pump... I will try to take a picture when I get home.

Thanks.
Here's a picture of the engine as it sits right now and a video of the location where its supposed to be... still scratching my head on this one

Old 05-10-2018, 06:27 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I dunno, dude. You may need to pull the alternator and A/C comrpessor (pro tip: Unbolt from the motor and lay it over where the battery normally is) and look there.

Can we get a picture of THAT side, after you pull them?

RwP

Quick Reply: 87 Dakota 2.2l fuel pump