1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Stereo Upgrade (A Cursed Project)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:15 AM
Ruff16965
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stereo Upgrade (A Cursed Project)

Can a project be cursed? For me this upgrade of the stereo and speakers seems that way, it has been one problem after another. Amazon's carrier gave the package containing the front speakers and some of the components to someone instead of placing in the locker, was refunded and I had to reorder. Then they sent me a pair of rounds instead of the 5X7's for the rear.

Went to install the 5X7" speakers the other day and found a mess that I am not sure how to even strart to fix. The previous owner had jammed in a pair of 6X9" speakers, I litterly mean jam as you will see in the photos. The reason that I could only find one screw on each side is that was all that was holding each speaker in.

At the top left is the screw hole that was holding the speaker in place.

I tried moving it out by gripping with some pliers, no luck, not sure if I should try a pair of vice grips, take it to a body shop see what they will charge me to either put it back right or make a plate that could be welded in and I just mount to that. I am even toying with the idea of either just putting the speaker covers back on and leaving the holes empty or getting a pair of 6X9" speakers and shoving them in there.

Any thoughts or ideas that I might of missed on what to do?

I am wondering what is in store for me when I replace the head unit again and install the backup camera.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:26 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruff16965
Can a project be cursed? For me this upgrade of the stereo and speakers seems that way, it has been one problem after another. Amazon's carrier gave the package containing the front speakers and some of the components to someone instead of placing in the locker, was refunded and I had to reorder. Then they sent me a pair of rounds instead of the 5X7's for the rear.

Went to install the 5X7" speakers the other day and found a mess that I am not sure how to even strart to fix. The previous owner had jammed in a pair of 6X9" speakers, I litterly mean jam as you will see in the photos. The reason that I could only find one screw on each side is that was all that was holding each speaker in.

At the top left is the screw hole that was holding the speaker in place.

I tried moving it out by gripping with some pliers, no luck, not sure if I should try a pair of vice grips, take it to a body shop see what they will charge me to either put it back right or make a plate that could be welded in and I just mount to that. I am even toying with the idea of either just putting the speaker covers back on and leaving the holes empty or getting a pair of 6X9" speakers and shoving them in there.

Any thoughts or ideas that I might of missed on what to do?

I am wondering what is in store for me when I replace the head unit again and install the backup camera.
If you have a scroll saw you could cut out an adapter that would screw to the 6x9 opening and let you screw the 5x7's to the adapter. Or you could try an adapter like this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SA6...SABEgLxhvD_BwE

Old 05-22-2018, 02:34 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged89
If you have a scroll saw you could cut out an adapter that would screw to the 6x9 opening and let you screw the 5x7's to the adapter. Or you could try an adapter like this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SA6...SABEgLxhvD_BwE
Nice - for thirteen bucks you can't beat that with a stick.

Good luck with the in-dash portion. I'll have to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure that "working under the car dashboard" was one of Dante's circles of hell.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade (A Cursed Project)