1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 3.9L Bad PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Wireless-T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 3.9L Bad PCM?

My 93 3.9L turns over, but does not start. Here are my observations:

- No power at coil during cranking
- No power to injectors
- ASD is open, but have confirmed relay is good
- No signal from pickup coil due to no 8V supply coming from PCM pin 7
- Also NO 5V supply on pin 6 of PCM
- PCM pin 3 DOES have 12V battery voltage

Appears that the PCM is defective. Before I drop $150+ on a new unit.....am I overlooking anything?? Thanks to all the other related posts that helped with the troubleshhoting. You guys are awesome!

Old 06-04-2018, 10:48 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok ur gonna have to chase down the fusible links in the wire harness. Theres a good number of them. The main ones you're worried about are in the first 11/2 to 2ft of wire harness coming out of the fuse box under the hood. I actually had a couple of those links blow and short causing my pcm to get fried. I rebuilt my entire harness and rebuild every solder link then heat shrunk them it was alot of damn work, but I did it right so I won't t be worrying about it in the future. Click on my name and look at the threads I've posted, there was 1 or 2 on the wire harness

Old 06-06-2018, 09:14 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm pretty sure I'll have no use for my '93 V6 PCM going forward, and I sure don't want a hundred fifty freakin dollars for it (seriously?). As long as you promise to use it and not flip it, I'll sell it super cheap. PM me when you've narrowed it down to the PCM for sure after taking the advice from Azboyinmi.

Quick Reply: 93 3.9L Bad PCM?