1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Issue checking tyranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:50 PM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue checking tyranny fluid

I checked other threads on here but didn't find any issue like mine. When I check the fluid, I do it exactly as others have described the correct way to do it on this forum. When I checked it yesterday when it was hot, it was showing up as bone dry, though when I checked it cold it showed totally full, but I know this is typical.

Today I added some to where the level rose right up to the dot, but it still wasn't in the zone that said 'okay'. After that I added a couple more times but the level wasn't budging beyond that. However, what happened was both times some fluid got in the squiggly part of the dipstick, and above that there is another smear of fluid, neither of which had been there before. I don't understand this.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:11 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd venture a guess that the dipstick is being dragged a bit against the walls of the tube and smearing the reading a bit. Seeing as it's impossible for the fluid level not to rise while adding fluid (assuming no leaks) I think what you're seeing is just the reading being disturbed when you drag the dipstick out.

Quick Reply: Issue checking tyranny fluid