1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Universal joint problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 PM
Autofab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal joint problems

I have a 95 Dakota v6 4x4 extended cab. The front ujoint on the rear shaft has gone out. Everything says that the front and rear joints of the rear shaft are the same. I see no way possible for the new joint to fit into the front of the driveshaft or the slip joint. When I lay the old joint on top of the new one the new one is about 3/8 of an inch larger on each end, the caps on the new joint are also slightly bigger than the holes in the shaft.
There is no way possible that the front and rear joints on the rear driveshaft are the same part.
Does anyone know what part I am needing? I have the AutoZone one which I've read bad things about on here but that's what is in town and the rear of the rear shaft has been using one for 2 years no problem. I have checked part numbers and they gave me the right (wrong) part.

New joint too big

New joint vs old joint

Old Front joint compared to rear joint

Slip yolk vs rear joint

Old 08-14-2018, 11:13 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

RockAuto's cross shows several U-joints from the same manufacturer, with some differences in them.

Check the listing at https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...sal+joint,2392 , then use the manufacturer's web site to find the specs, and find the part numbers that fit.

BTW - If they used the computer, it's admitted the computer sucks for crosses. Tell them to pull out The Book.

RwP

Quick Reply: Universal joint problems