1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How to best pry hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 PM
kaczgune
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My radiator is removed so I get pretty good access, no need for a 2 foot screwdriver lol. I can’t figure out where I’m supposed to be prying. I don’t know how to find the hole from under the hood. Now that I think about but I did drop a socket down that hole, and it landed between the radiator and whatever the part is that’s in front of the radiator, right behind the grille. So I feel like I should be able to see it really easily but I’m not seeing any gap that big.

I found a small hole to the right of the circular part shown in my picture looking upwards. I got a screwdriver in it but I can move it by prying. Considering the flathead barely fit I assume it’s not the right spot to pry at all...lol.

I tried to remove the part I can’t recall the name of, between the radiator and grill. Only to find out that it’s attached by some lines running into the truck. Was a great waste of time with all the nuts and bolts but found out my truck might have a transmission fluid cooler so wasn’t a total waste of time haha

Old 09-21-2018, 08:27 PM
kaczgune
Amateur

After looking at the pictures a bit more, do I need to pry a thin piece of metal to the left of the circle, towards the left?

Old 09-21-2018, 08:46 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

The second picture I posted is looking down from on top. That is the top side of the second picture you posted. In my picture that tab would move to the right looking down In your picture that tab would move to the bottom left of the picture since its an an angle in the picture. Laying on your back aligned with the truck head first under the bumper looking up it would need to move to your left.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:35 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

If you look carefully, you can see the half moon of the primary latch to the hood at the bottom-left of your picture.

However, it also looks like you've been mauling the button; it MAY not come loose now if you've mushroomed it any.

Backup:

Get a set of left-hand drill bits.

Start a hole in each of the two bolt tips.

Grab the tip with some pliers, start them twisting loose.

Use the left handed drill bit to drive the bit up (its drilling direction is reversed, so it'll back the bolt out while it's trying to bit into the metal.)

When the bolts are all the way out, pick the hood front up, release the secondary latch, and ... plan on a boneyard trip to replace the primary. Or just put hood pins on it, your call on that.

RwP

Old 09-22-2018, 01:44 PM
kaczgune
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
If you look carefully, you can see the half moon of the primary latch to the hood at the bottom-left of your picture.

However, it also looks like you've been mauling the button; it MAY not come loose now if you've mushroomed it any.

Backup:

Get a set of left-hand drill bits.

Start a hole in each of the two bolt tips.

Grab the tip with some pliers, start them twisting loose.

Use the left handed drill bit to drive the bit up (its drilling direction is reversed, so it'll back the bolt out while it's trying to bit into the metal.)

When the bolts are all the way out, pick the hood front up, release the secondary latch, and ... plan on a boneyard trip to replace the primary. Or just put hood pins on it, your call on that.

RwP

I really appreciate the detailed idea. If the button is the downwards pointing metal then Iv definitely mauled the **** out of it. I tried moving the latch to the left and I can’t get it to budge one bit. I got a pretty could angle on it with my flathead so I probably ****ed it up when I was prying at the button.

The drilling idea is probably the only option I have left. Trying to think of how it’s going to go and my only concern would be if the bolts can back out all the way with the hood closed. And I’m pretty much removing the latching mechanism from the body of the truck. So when I drill the bolts out and open the hood it’ll all come out attached to the hood. Would the cable that’s supposed to open the hood be attached and hold the mechanism down?

Old 09-22-2018, 02:01 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Get under it. Slip the flat screw driver into the hole on the front side. Slide the screw driver to your left as you hold the flat tightly to the side of the hole. This should push that tab into its slot and let the **** free. If you can get you screw driver to 9o"clock it should be holding the latch back and the hood should come up with a pull if not on its own before then. I have no idea what the cable might do if you remove the bolts but it looks as if its hanging there in your picture. If it is its not connected to anything.
If the screwdriver is too fat a good piece of tool steel of the grade used for slim jims would work.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 09-22-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:30 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Andif what onemore94dak suggests doesn't work, get a friend there. You may have to walk back and forth between the two bolts as your friend pulls up on the hood; but there will be a gap in there plenty big enough with the hood pulling up to get to where you can release the secondary latch, and if necessary remove the entire latch from the hood (top AND bottom!) and replace with stuff from the boneyard.

Or remove it all and use hood latch pins; that's anther way to hold it down if you end up removing the latch completely.

RwP

Quick Reply: How to best pry hood