1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

2nd gen Ram 5.9 swap into 1st gen Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 03:36 PM
kaczgune
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen Ram 5.9 swap into 1st gen Dakota

Im working on fixing the head gasket on my 1996 Dakota (once the hood opens back up) I have the 5.2L v8 4WD with 229k miles. I found a 1998 Ram 1500 on Facebook for $400, apparently an old roofing truck. Its rough looking, but it had a 170K mile 5.9 replaced into it a year ago. Im wondering if my engine is even worth fixing, under it I noticed theres rust starting to eat deep into the bottom of the engine. So I figured if I could spend $400 and get a engine with 50k less miles, AND a upgrade in size it would be well worth it.

I probably wouldn't do the swap myself, Im going to try and have someone I know do it and as payment id just try and let him keep the Ram and my blown engine. Even if he won't take that as payment the local junk yard pays minimum $350 for scrap vehicles.

What would a swap like this require? Even though I wouldn't be doing it myself I want to know if its feasible to even do considering the generational difference.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:52 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

1) Proper torque converter, flywheel, and harmonic balancer (should all be on the Ram truck now, so easy peasy there.)

2) ECU that's tuned for the 5.9 for maximum benefit (this may help - I bet you can use the ECU out of the RAM, if they're both 3 plug ECUs.)

3) 5.9 oil pan to fit the Dakota (the Ram pan MAY fit; you can try if you wish. But to be sure, order one for a 1998 Dakota with the 5.9)

4) I'd do new motor mounts, new radiator, new plugs, new wires, and don't forget new oil and coolant.

HOWEVER.

If the bottom of the motor is rusting, what kind of shape is the frame in? I'd consider that very long and hard first.

RwP

Old 09-21-2018, 05:48 PM
kaczgune
Amateur

The frame is pretty rusty. When I fixed the fuel line it was raining rust down on me. I guess I don’t know how to access the overall condition of the frame, it’s rusty but seems solid to me. I’m able to pull myself around underneath the truck without anything breaking off or anything like that. The previous owner had the Y pipe worked on, it was $300 a few month before I got it. If the frame was bad I kinda just assumed he wouldn’t of put that much into it.

I got got a very reliable car, but I want this Dakota to be able to haul about 5000LBs loads, run highway, and be something I can build into a small off-roading vehicle for fun. Above all it’s a winter beater though. But I’d love if I can get it into condition to do the other things I meantioned. How should I access the frame to see if it’s up to what I want to do?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Time to do a frame-off.

But if it was raining rust down on you ... I would not, under ANY circumstances, try to pull 5,000 pounds without FIRST doing a frame off to verify it was solid and reliable!

But eh. Your money, your life.

RwP

Old 09-22-2018, 03:41 AM
kaczgune
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
Time to do a frame-off.

But if it was raining rust down on you ... I would not, under ANY circumstances, try to pull 5,000 pounds without FIRST doing a frame off to verify it was solid and reliable!

But eh. Your money, your life.

RwP

Considering the load would be my girlfriends horse(s) probably will toss that idea out the window. She does have a f150 that’s a beast. Needs a little work but sounds like a much better idea to keep that truck running strong for towing purposes.

After looking around at the frame I’ll admit it’s probably a lost cause, the rust on the bottom of the engine looks at least an inch deep at one point. I haven’t found any hole or cracks in the frame. But the fuel line has been repaired twice, once by me; due to it rusting away.

Probably best off just fixing the head gasket and using it as a winter beater for a couple years. Not worth the engine swap and any fun off road upgrades after looking into the frame some more :/. We also get MAJOR flash flooding 1-2 times a month during summer and spring. To the point where I’m parking blocks away and walking barefoot in up to knee deep water to get home! Having a truck for that and the winter blizzards would be amazing. I refuse to put my car through the water (low sitting 2.4L 4cyl sedan) after watching tons of morons get stuck. I figure if I get some tow straps and tow a few of them out for $30-50 each flood I’d probably break even on the truck lmao

Quick Reply: 2nd gen Ram 5.9 swap into 1st gen Dakota