1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Egr question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:17 AM
dusterdude
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egr question

1995 dak 3.9,been having a problem with the engine spitting thru the throttle body.finally got a code 32(egr transducer).question is,if i replace the egr valve with a block off plate,will the computer cause a drivability issue due to no valve?im not concerned with the check engine light being on because of no valve.thanks

Old 09-29-2018, 12:39 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Well, here's a silly question.

Do you ever drive on the highway?

Does fuel economy affect your wallet any?

If the answer to either is "YES", then just fix the EGR.

As to putting on a block out plate - it may, since the EGR is used to (in addition to reducing emissions) lean out the mix on cruise to help improve fuel economy.

Besides, I can find the EGR transducer for about $23 ( see RockAuto.COM ) and it's a very, VERY simple swap; two vacuum hoses, one electrical connection, and bada bing bada boom. Which makes me point out also that those vacuum lines are probably 23 years old or older now; it might be as simple as replacing the vacuum lines!

(It's also included with the EGR valve assembly, which starts at about $55 on RA ... I'd grab the valve, and de-carbon it a bit while the valve was off, but eh, not my truck.)

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 09-29-2018 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added note about vacuum lines
Old 09-29-2018, 03:20 PM
dusterdude
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ralph,
1)a little
2)not really
3)i appreciate your insight and ponder your input.thanks

Quick Reply: Egr question