1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 Dodge Dakota Trying to repair/maintain

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:19 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Got me! I hadn't looked at the first post in a while and just assumed this was a 5.2.
It's all good, but the PO might be a little confused lol.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Andrew Malinowski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the issue is still there. High idle has not gone away. Bad enough that sometimes I'll shut it off and come back a few minutes later and it'll miss. I think it's getting flooded a bit cause I can clear it up by pushing the throttle.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:49 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Malinowski
So the issue is still there. High idle has not gone away. Bad enough that sometimes I'll shut it off and come back a few minutes later and it'll miss. I think it's getting flooded a bit cause I can clear it up by pushing the throttle.
Have you done anything with the TBI?? Besides the map, have you changed any other sensors?? I would get an volt/ohm meter and make sure the TPS is in spec, if memory serves me correctly they are adjustable, and it will dump fuel if it's not where it should be. I would pull the vacuum hose for the brake booster and plug it at the manifold and see how it runs plug of the nipple the hose attaches to it'll cause a gross vacuum leak and won't run, or will run like crap. Does it have an external idle control solonoid with a hard throttle stop?? When the engine is off the throttle should be completely closed, if it's open at all it'll dump excessive fuel. Those solonoids are known to stop working with the throttle stuck open, causing hard starts, and high idle.

Last edited by rebeltaz83; 10-20-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:31 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Andrew the Factory Service Manual is a lot better than the Haynes. On this page https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...e-manuals.html Scroll down to "PDF Downloadable Service Manuals". Its about 1/3 the way down. Engine diagnostics in in chapter 9 on the 95. and the intake/exhaust manifolds are in chapter 11.

Quick Reply: 96 Dodge Dakota Trying to repair/maintain