1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 Dakota Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Newt1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Dakota Sport

Hi sverone, I happy to be a new member, i didn't see a introduction page so if there is im sorry, but Thanks for any help and advice in advance.
i just purchased a 88 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 3.9. I have a question about the courtesy light and dome lights when you open the door, their dead. I've done some research on my own and found that the time delay relay that goes into the fuse block may have something to do with it, the relay/ was in the ashtray not plugged in the fuse panel itself, I put a volt meter on it and checked for resistance on all three legs of the relay/switch it ohmed out to 0 any way I tested it, does that indicate it's bad, and when I tested for voltage actually where it plugs in I grounded my test light and probed all 3 points where the time delay would plug into...got nothing, where does gain it's power I dont have a service manual yet, so any help would be appreciated, is there a fusible link somewhere I should be checking, once again thanks in advance. Im very happy to be a member.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:26 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Step 0 - grab the service manual.

Step 1 - buy a good time delay relay off Ebay (they're nominally NLA, so hard to find.) To help, the factory part number is 2889565 . Ebay listings are at https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Dodge&_sacat=0 .

For your convenience, I've attached the relevant page from the FSM (purchased on Ebay; they're now available on RockAuto for under $23 plus shipping).

Fuse 6 (a 20A unit) in the fuse block feeds the time delay relay (and a few other items); I'd check there first. But yes, if the time delay relay measures 0 ohms, it's possibly shorted internally. OTOH, it might not be; when cold, it DOES have continuity, but not 0 ohms on a low scale.

RwP

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 10-14-2018, 08:13 PM
Newt1

Originally Posted by Newt1
Hi everone, I happy to be a new member, i didn't see a introduction page so if there is im sorry, but Thanks for any help and advice in advance.
i just purchased a 88 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 3.9. I have a question about the courtesy light and dome lights when you open the door, their dead. I've done some research on my own and found that the time delay relay that goes into the fuse block may have something to do with it, the relay/ was in the ashtray not plugged in the fuse panel itself, I put a volt meter on it and checked for resistance on all three legs of the relay/switch it ohmed out to 0 any way I tested it, does that indicate it's bad, and when I tested for voltage actually where it plugs in I grounded my test light and probed all 3 points where the time delay would plug into...got nothing, where does gain it's power I dont have a service manual yet, so any help would be appreciated, is there a fusible link somewhere I should be checking, once again thanks in advance. Im very happy to be a member.
Originally Posted by RalphP
Step 0 - grab the service manual.

Step 1 - buy a good time delay relay off Ebay (they're nominally NLA, so hard to find.) To help, the factory part number is 2889565 . Ebay listings are at https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Dodge&_sacat=0 .

For your convenience, I've attached the relevant page from the FSM (purchased on Ebay; they're now available on RockAuto for under $23 plus shipping).

Fuse 6 (a 20A unit) in the fuse block feeds the time delay relay (and a few other items); I'd check there first. But yes, if the time delay relay measures 0 ohms, it's possibly shorted internally. OTOH, it might not be; when cold, it DOES have continuity, but not 0 ohms on a low scale.

RwP
Thanks so much Rwp

Old 10-19-2018, 05:36 AM
Newt1
Default Still no courtesy lights

Originally Posted by Newt1
Thanks so much Rwp
I checked for voltage on fuse 6 it had voltage going to the fuse which was good I believe it was factory marked parking lights and back up lights not quite sure, in the schematic...am I seeing that voltage also runing to steering column, I believe the time delay circuit for the time delay that plugs into the fuse panel is called ignition light time delay ... The ignition portion that the key goes into has been replaced, not original... I know this because the vehicle has 2 keys 1 for doors and a newer looking key for ignition, is it possible something wasnt hooked up when the ignition was replaced, more help please.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:07 AM
RalphP
Champion

The wire into the column is for the column light, which (if you have it) shines onto the ignition key cylinder to see to put the key in with the door shut.

It has nothing mechanically to do with the ignition key cylinder.

Again, grab that FSM; it's a wonderful help.

But ...

Did you check for 12V into the time delay socket? Use that wiring diagram I included, and verify that there's 12V into the socket.

If so, next step is to see if the grounded side (grounded through the door jamb switch) IS grounded with the door open.

Last but not least, there's only two lights on that circuit; and my truck didn't even HAVE one of them! So you may have a bad bulb.

How do you know the time delay relay ISN'T, well, delaying and turning on and off? What are the symptoms?

RwP

Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Newt1
Default Interior cab lights

I checked with digital volt meter and 12v. test light in socket where time delay relay goes, I checked all three points in the socket I get no voltage what so ever, I've tested the done light by removing it and testing with 12v. battery and it works, don't know about a light up portion around where the key goes into ignition, because it's been replaced with something after marker. Should I be looking for power in the headlight switch, Thanks Ralph for you guidance. Any way to wire around the time delay portion, I hate to alter from original set up though.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:17 AM
RalphP
Champion

I'd fix the wiring from the TDR socket to the fuse; drop the fuse block and test behind.

it's not AROUND the key; it's in FRONT of the key.

If you didn't have that option, there's a plug between the key and the hazard switch.

Let's see if I can find a diagram or picture ...

Attached is a page from the factory service manual, showing part of the column tear down for the non-tilt column. Important to this is the picture at the upper right. Notice the turn signal is at the TOP and the gear selector at the BOTTOM of the column in that picture; rotate it 90* anti-clockwise to see how it actually sits.

Also, attached is a picture of my truck's steering column.

(That, and the light in the passenger footwell, is all that's ON that TDR; if you don't have either, you won't have anything TO time delay ... )

The overhead light isn't on the relay, if that's what you're concerned about.

And if THAT'S not lighting up either, well, maybe check the switch? Although the switch doesn't toggle the 12V to the TDR, it toggles the ground on it.

RwP

Ignition Light below key cylinder, in front of hazard switch.

Attached Files

Quick Reply: 88 Dakota Sport