1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:02 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Dakota lights issue

I have a problem, no headlights, no dash lights, no parking/running lights, no brake lights, no horn, When I pull the headlight switch my tach drags down and my brake/ABS light comes on, when I hit the horn my tach climes and the horn relay might buzz but not always. Radio works, dome lights, backup lights, turn signals, flashers, wipers all work, The overdrive indicator light works.

So far I have replaced a blown fuse for the brake lights but they are still inop, I checked the ground to the light switch and it had good continuity, I replaced the headlight switch, My buzzer when the door is open with the keys left in wasn't working before I replaced the switch but it works now. Still no headlights and all the other lights I listed

I figure I have a grounding issue or a short to ground but I am not blowing fuses.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:55 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Bad ground is my bet.

I'd tackle ALL the grounds inside the dash first; remove them, polish them, put them back, and cover them in dielectric grease.

RwP

Old 12-05-2018, 07:00 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took it to an auto electric shop, they found a corroded connector and a broken wire at the firewall. Funny cause I just rewired the resistor pack on the passenger side cause the blower motor stopped running. When I replaced the resistor pack it didn't fix it even though I saw corrosion on the resistors so I snipped the connector off and wired directly from the harness to the resistor

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota lights issue