1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Wheel spacers and hub centric rings

Old 12-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Drys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wheel spacers and hub centric rings

I recently acquired some 2nd gen wheels and rather than shaving down the brake nut, I measured and it looks like I need 1/4" clearance. I found 1/4" wheel spacers (slip ons) but none with the correct center bore size. My '95 has a center bore of 71.5mm and these spacers are 82.5mm. Will that be an issue if the wheels themselves are lug-centric? Or do I need to find a hubcentric ring with an OD of 82.5 and ID of 71.5?

Old 12-19-2018, 05:03 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Hub centric rings are unnecessary on a lug centric wheel.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Drys

Can you confirm these wheels are lug centric?

Old 12-21-2018, 12:21 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't believe that Dodge wheels are hub centric, then again I can't find any definitive yes / no on the interwebs. You could try any search engine to find out?

At any rate I don't think they are, but you might have to go to Dodge to find out for sure, but if it concerns you then buy spacers that have a center ring included, it will make mounting the wheels a whole lot easier anyhow.

As it is you will need spacers to run these on gen1 trucks, especially if you bought the 8" wide version, which I wouldn't. The 7" version is perfectly fine, especially on gen 1 where they're going to rub.

Steve

Old 12-21-2018, 12:33 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If the lug nuts have a conical seat then they are lug centric, if they are flat then the wheel is hub centric. I know my factory wheels are lug centric.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:15 PM
Drys

Originally Posted by 00t444e
If the lug nuts have a conical seat then they are lug centric, if they are flat then the wheel is hub centric. I know my factory wheels are lug centric.
My lugs are conical, thanks!

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
I don't believe that Dodge wheels are hub centric, then again I can't find any definitive yes / no on the interwebs. You could try any search engine to find out?

At any rate I don't think they are, but you might have to go to Dodge to find out for sure, but if it concerns you then buy spacers that have a center ring included, it will make mounting the wheels a whole lot easier anyhow.

As it is you will need spacers to run these on gen1 trucks, especially if you bought the 8" wide version, which I wouldn't. The 7" version is perfectly fine, especially on gen 1 where they're going to rub.

Steve
I honestly don't know the width of the wheel. They have 235 sized tires on them. The rears fit fine, it's the fronts that the wheels rubs on the brake nut.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel spacers and hub centric rings