1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'96 Dakota Parking Brake Blues

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Noonbailey501
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I would just suggest buying some choke blocks (4x4 wood works good too) and just keep them in the bed of the truck because mine did the same thing and that what I use now

Old 12-21-2018, 01:24 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dibbons
Thanks guys, The reason I don't bend it back is because I don't believe it will be as strong as before due to metal fatigue and I am a little paranoid about it rolling down a hill if it acts up again. I could try to reinforce it. Even leaving the transmission in a forward gear while stopped/parked it starts to inch down my driveway little by little. It seems leaving it in reverse holds a little better but still don't want to take any chances. The bottom line is we have had this vehicle since new and I am willing to spend a little cash on NOS parts to keep it original, especially when the aftermarket supplies inferior parts. Today I will try to order the above mentioned part number from an online source, the local dealership yesterday, of course, told me the part was no longer available.

Oh, one more comment, on my vehicle that second smaller little hook might be pointed in the "wrong" direction for a reason. It looks like it may tie into the edge of the cross frame (not in a hole) to help stabilize the whole thing.

I see online @ moparpartsgiant that 081 fits "option N5" and 082 fits "option N1", but I had no luck finding a translation for those "options" anywhere.
That non-hook you reference is out where there's no support or mounting, and further it makes no sense that a second pivot point would be introduced in the cabling system. If the design did have a second pivot it would totally undermine the flexibility of the system whereby the cable and it's connections, moves freely with and without tension.

The whole reason your hook failed to begin with is because the cable tension lagged and the adjuster was not adjusted to take up the slack. As the 'hook' slowly backed out and bound against the frame at a different point along the hook the leverage against it changed and it slowly bent until finally it opened up enough to fall out completely.

Your adjuster is in great shape, have a welding shop (or muffler shop) bend it back and reinforce it with another piece of metal, then adjust until all cable slack is gone. Then periodically check it to make sure that it's not sagging under there.

Steve

Old 12-21-2018, 02:40 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dibbons

I see online @ moparpartsgiant that 081 fits "option N5" and 082 fits "option N1", but I had no luck finding a translation for those "options" anywhere.
as Steve said, 081 is for 4wd and 082 is 2wd. You can see the difference between these parts in part diagrams online, just Google the part numbers. The 082 is clearly the longer one and therefore not the one you need. The 081 is the one you need.

I get your desire to keep it original but Steve's suggestion to bend it back should work very well...once you readjust the cable.

Last edited by tbugden; 12-21-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: '96 Dakota Parking Brake Blues