Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota Tech
Reload this Page >

What are the battery terminal small gauge wires for?

1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What are the battery terminal small gauge wires for?

Old 12-24-2018, 03:35 PM
Dibbons
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the first sentence of my first post, did anyone notice me mention the fact the vehicle was equipped with the trailer towing package? Well, here is what i found tracing the wires back from the battery.

In the first foto, you can see a where the two black and red wires become three wires (black, red, and blue/green). In that same foto (over to the right) you can see the rubber grommet where the wires pass thru the firewall into the passenger compartment.

In the second foto, is a tag that was wrapped around the plastic wire protector with the part # 56021309 Rev A 16238Z. Looking up that part number on the internet and we find "wiring, trailer tow overlay" (see foto three). So there you have it, a factory installed power supply for the factory installed trailer lights plug-in socket at rear bumper.

Thank you everyone for your contributions, this was not a game on my part. I just figured these two extra wires installed at the battery terminals were a part of every Dakota produced and I expected almost anyone out there to have been able to tell me what their purpose was without even doing any research. Well, at least we know now what those little mystery wires are. I was just too lazy to trace them back to begin with.

Last edited by Dibbons; 12-24-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: add foto
Old 12-24-2018, 11:30 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may be the first poster here to have them.

And .. there they are, page 8W-54-3 in the FSM.

Never seen them before.

But at least now we all know. Thanks for the information!

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the battery terminal small gauge wires for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: