1996 Dakota 3.9L Knock Sensor? - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota Tech
Reload this Page >

1996 Dakota 3.9L Knock Sensor?

1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

1996 Dakota 3.9L Knock Sensor?

Old 12-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Dibbons
Amateur
Default 1996 Dakota 3.9L Knock Sensor?

When accelerating from a stop, my 5 speed 3.9L with 3.55 rear gears pings sometimes on regular. Using premium, i don't hear that noise. Motor has 280,000 miles on it. I wonder if this vehicle was equipped with a factory knock sensor? Thank you.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:37 PM
RalphP
Champion

As you can find out from the factory service manual (copy downloadable from a link in the FAQ ... no excuses for not having one!) no, no, it doesn't.

Try a mid grade.

Or, what I would do, is to give it the Seafoam treatment and see if you can decarbon the heads and pistons a bit.

If you DO overhaul it, consider EngineQuest heads; they have a much better quench design and resist knocking. Along with breathing better.

RwP

Old 12-28-2018, 06:04 PM
Dibbons
Amateur

Thank you for answering my question and I will take your sage advice into consideration.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Dakota 3.9L Knock Sensor?

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: