1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help!! Broke A Part While Cleaning The Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:36 PM
Ruff16965
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Broke A Part While Cleaning The Throttle Body

So I finally decided I was tired of it dying while at stop lights and took the throttle body apart today. Took me less that minutes to get it apart, about half of that waiting for the WD-40 to soak in, about a third of the time, find the right socket or driver or retreiving them from the engine block or under the truck. Got it looking really good still some deposits but they are spotty instead of everything being solid black.

On reassemble I broke something and have no idea what it is called, so before I walk to O'Riellys, maybe next time I will do work in there parking lot or the empty lot next door. I need to know what it is called. On the front end toward the raditor is a nipple, it is the plastic elbow that I broke and as brittle as it is I wonder how long it would of lasted.

So what is it called and if there is more than one size anyone know what size I need?

Old 02-22-2019, 04:11 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

From the factory service manual, it appears it's the MAP sensor.

Or, if it's just an elbow, well, it's an elbow.

Were there wires attached to it?

In any case, why not take what's left to O'Reilly's with you and have them match it up?

To cross - picture 14-725 in the 90-93 parts book (downloaded from the links in the FAQ) show it as a formed nipple to the MAP sensor; but that one looks like it's rubber, not plastic. (Might be plastic; the shape screams "RUBBER" to me, though.)

Again, take what's left on your walk, and have them match it up. If it plugs into the MAP sensor, unplug and disconnect the MAP sensor, and carry that with you so you can match fit.

Why, yes, they ARE different sizes; I usually keep an assortment or two and just use the one that fits, don't care about the actual size.

RwP

Old 02-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Ruff16965
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a vacuum hose was straight not an elbow. If it is rubber then it has gotten really really brittle and hard like I have never seen rubber before. I is just like the material cover the cable for the cruise control at the end.

Truck is back together, it started right up when I finally turned the key.

Was not able to fix the cruise control. The detent works and fits, the cable is just a 1/2 inch too short, not sure I if should of put in on when I had the throttle body off, or what.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:30 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruff16965
it is the plastic elbow that I broke
Originally Posted by Ruff16965
It was a vacuum hose was straight not an elbow. .
Hence my thinking it was an elbow, which is what you DID say.

Glad it was fixed!

RwP

Quick Reply: Help!! Broke A Part While Cleaning The Throttle Body