1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Location of intake manifold temp sensor? 88 Dakota 3.9L

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:27 PM
soundquest
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of intake manifold temp sensor? 88 Dakota 3.9L

Anyone know where it is located? 1988 Dakota 3.9. Thanks.

Last edited by soundquest; 02-27-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

on the intake manifold to the passenger side of the thermostat, right near the nipple for the heater hose

Old 02-28-2019, 09:11 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
on the intake manifold to the passenger side of the thermostat, right near the nipple for the heater hose
To amplify, on a 1988 TBI motor, the one to the PASSENGER side (under the A/C compressor) is the GAUGE sending unit.

The one to the DRIVER'S side is the ECT sensor; again, on a 1988.

Edit: Huh. I answered this earlier, don't know where it went. There is no air inlet charge temperature (ACT) sensor on a 1988; the ECU's engine coolant temperature sensor is to the driver's side of the thermostat housing with a 2-wire connector; the gauge's sending unit is to the PASSENGER side, under the A/C compressor location (or the A/C delete bracket), with a ONE wire connector.

RwP

Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM
soundquest
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for your reply Ralph -- I concluded last night (after searching fruitlessly for the IMTS) one does not exist on my engine; so it's good to seed that confirmed in your reply.

I pulled the ECTS however... and it's resistance measures pretty close to the brand new one I just bought when placed in boiling water. So the question is... replace or do not replace? (it is the original ECTS). I say replace since I already have it out and they commonly fail above 150K miles. Thx. Oh, and one last question Ralph -- how often would you say the MAP sensors fail and need replacing on these engines? Which method do you prefer for testing the MAP sensor? Thanks again for all your help on wide variety of posts -- you are definitely the resident expert par excellence here.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:29 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I replaced mine when the ECU decided it had failed I dunno how to test it offhand, but there's a test in the FSM.

I'd go ahead and replace the ECT.

(BTW - my reman'ed TBI unit has the IAT sensor; but it's not connected. Came with the unit, so ... )

RwP

Old 03-02-2019, 08:53 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

is that the one that's 1/2 plastic and 1/2 copper? If so, I'm surprised that after 30 years it didn't just crumble when you unhooked it or if not then when you took it out.... I know that 88 is pre Magnum but its been too long since I messed with one of those...
I know that the ones on the Magnums do after a few years and those aren't 30 years old, yet. For what they cost, (not much) put the new one in.

Quick Reply: Location of intake manifold temp sensor? 88 Dakota 3.9L