DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   EFI control solutions for OBD I - 95 Dakota 5.2L (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/422888-efi-control-solutions-for-obd-i-95-dakota-5-2l.html)

93 ragtop 04-25-2019 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by WolfStar (Post 3436911)

What about the fuel pump? Can I use the stock fuel pump?[/QUOTE]

If you use the holley sniper, it has a built in regulator, so the factory pump should be fine. As Ralph said, with a carb. you would need to regulate and drop pressure.

I am going to send you a PM............

magnethead 04-25-2019 10:21 PM

Other option would just run an FITech self-learning unit

93 ragtop 04-26-2019 08:15 AM

This is my opinion, it may not be popular, but I am going to come right out and say it.

IMO the worst idea would be to take a wiring harness out of a 23 year old truck, along with a 23 year old computer, and try to mate this up in another vehicle. Listed below are a few concerns I can think of off the top of my head.
1. Will injectors need to be changed?
2. Sensors, are they the same?
3. How much time is this conversion going to take?
4. What will end up being my total cost?

There is a reason why, when an insurance co. has a vehicle with a burned up harness, or flooded, it usually will total the vehicle. Could go on and on with this.....

Lastly, at the end of the day, or probably should say year, what have you accomplished?
1. The OP said he wants to switch out the heads and cam. I think we could assume he is hopping it up for more power,....
2. You still have a kegger intake designed for high torque, low rpm operation.
3. You have a computer system with limited support and adjustability .
4. Any problems that come up, trying to figure out, is it a fault with a connector somewhere, something incompatible, or is it the tune?

Its real easy to sit back and talk about swapping from OBD1 to OBD2. But check who has actually done it, what success they had, how long it took, how much it cost, and ask them if they would do it again.

HeyYou 04-26-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop (Post 3436997)
This is my opinion, it may not be popular, but I am going to come right out and say it.

IMO the worst idea would be to take a wiring harness out of a 23 year old truck, along with a 23 year old computer, and try to mate this up in another vehicle. Listed below are a few concerns I can think of off the top of my head.

There is a reason why, when an insurance co. has a vehicle with a burned up harness, or flooded, it usually will total the vehicle. Could go on and on with this.....

Lastly, at the end of the day, or probably should say year, what have you accomplished?
1. The OP said he wants to switch out the heads and cam. I think we could assume he is hopping it up for more power,....
4. Any problems that come up, trying to figure out, is it a fault with a connector somewhere, something incompatible, or is it the tune?

Its real easy to sit back and talk about swapping from OBD1 to OBD2. But check who has actually done it, what success they had, how long it took, how much it cost, and ask them if they would do it again.

Actually...... I know a fair few folks that have 'upgraded' from OBDI, to OBDII..... It's a rather popular conversion on the third gen F-bodys.... Yeah, I know, totally different vehicles...... Is it easy? Not particularly..... (if you are decent at wiring, it isn't too bad though.) I does have quite a few advantages though, FAR easier adjustability being right up there on the list.

93 ragtop 04-26-2019 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3437005)
Actually...... I know a fair few folks that have 'upgraded' from OBDI, to OBDII..... It's a rather popular conversion on the third gen F-bodys.... Yeah, I know, totally different vehicles...... Is it easy? Not particularly..... (if you are decent at wiring, it isn't too bad though.) I does have quite a few advantages though, FAR easier adjustability being right up there on the list.

When you say 3rd gen f body, I would assume you are talking Camaro-Firebird? If so, then yes, I too know some who have done that. You probably have also seen a lot that are converting to LS computers....

But with the OP stating he is changing heads and cam, and he already has ODB1, I cant imagine how its a good idea for him to try to swap to a mopar OBD2....

IMO there are many better choices.

BTW do you have a 3 gen? If so, what is it?

FWIW I have a 93 corvette with a built motor. The pain and expense I went through getting it tuned probably has some to do with my feelings on all of this.:icon_look:

HeyYou 04-26-2019 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop (Post 3437016)

When you say 3rd gen f body, I would assume you are talking Camaro-Firebird? If so, then yes, I too know some who have done that. You probably have also seen a lot that are converting to LS computers....

But with the OP stating he is changing heads and cam, and he already has ODB1, I cant imagine how its a good idea for him to try to swap to a mopar OBD2....

IMO there are many better choices.

BTW do you have a 3 gen? If so, what is it?

FWIW I have a 93 corvette with a built motor. The pain and expense I went through getting it tuned probably has some to do with my feelings on all of this.:icon_look:

I used to have an 88 Formula 350. (in Arrest me FIRST Red, of course.....) That car was WAY too much fun. :) I bought it with 88000 miles on it, and it had just over 200,000 when I sold it. Reason I sold it? I couldn't get in/out of it any more..... Too low to the ground.... (health issues....) Now, I wish I had kept it. :D Oh well... (been a member over on Thirdgen.org for more than 20 years. :) )

If the Dodges had the OBDI tuning support that the GM's did of that era, I would most certainly advocate going that route, but, they don't.... and getting your OBDI computer tuned for engine modifications for them is a right pain in the keester..... Hence, advocating changing to OBDII. Makes life somewhat easier.... Cost to get a tune that actually works good would likely be pretty close, no matter which way you went......

96360 04-26-2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop (Post 3436997)

Chuck litty had great success and ask him, hed do it again in a heart beat. His truck now has a supercharged 5.9 with a t56 transmission. Injectors dont need changed if its something simple like 95 to 96. Nor do other sensors if its as simple as 95 to 96. Even if they do, there's not much that would have to be bought. Sensors need changed anyways eventually.

Jtec does NOT have limited support. Ryan Hogan can do anything you need from stock, mild to wild. Theres a jeep grand Cherokee running 10's and better. Theres dakotas running 12's and better. A lot are I. The 11s and a decent amount close to or in the 10s. On jtec obd2. You dont have to worry about anything being wrong with a tune from Ryan Hogan.

What have you accompished at the end of the day? More power, better driveability, more mpg and a better truck all around. All stock vehciles benefit from having a tune. Especially jtec in particular. Doesn't matter if you just want a better dd, or youre going full race mode.

Again, theres no "trying" to do this. Its been done. Theres really not much wiring on magnum engines to begin with. Theres really nothing more that can be done with these trucks that someone else hasnt already done.

It just comes down on if you have the time and can find a donor for the right price.

I myself would never do it. There's so many great 96 Dakota's out there still that it makes more sense to buy one of those to begin with for cheap. And if youve already started building your engine just swap the engine.

Unless your current obd1 is just freaking emaculant. Which is the number 1 reason chuck did the swap. The obd1 truck was the right price and its literally perfect. Rust free etc.

Oh last thing, if op is spending money on heads cam lifters pushrods etc, he probably has common sense to get rid of the junk kegger intake.

93 ragtop 04-26-2019 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by 96360 (Post 3437026)
Chuck litty had great success and ask him, hed do it again in a heart beat. His truck now has a supercharged 5.9 with a t56 transmission. Injectors dont need changed if its something simple like 95 to 96. Nor do other sensors if its as simple as 95 to 96. Even if they do, there's not much that would have to be bought. Sensors need changed anyways eventually.

Jtec does NOT have limited support. Ryan Hogan can do anything you need from stock, mild to wild. Theres a jeep grand Cherokee running 10's and better. Theres dakotas running 12's and better. A lot are I. The 11s and a decent amount close to or in the 10s. On jtec obd2. You dont have to worry about anything being wrong with a tune from Ryan Hogan.

What have you accompished at the end of the day? More power, better driveability, more mpg and a better truck all around. All stock vehciles benefit from having a tune. Especially jtec in particular. Doesn't matter if you just want a better dd, or youre going full race mode.

Again, theres no "trying" to do this. Its been done. Theres really not much wiring on magnum engines to begin with. Theres really nothing more that can be done with these trucks that someone else hasnt already done.

It just comes down on if you have the time and can find a donor for the right price.

I myself would never do it. There's so many great 96 Dakota's out there still that it makes more sense to buy one of those to begin with for cheap. And if youve already started building your engine just swap the engine.

Unless your current obd1 is just freaking emaculant. Which is the number 1 reason chuck did the swap. The obd1 truck was the right price and its literally perfect. Rust free etc.

Oh last thing, if op is spending money on heads cam lifters pushrods etc, he probably has common sense to get rid of the junk kegger intake.

Toby,
Im not saying it cant be done......
Im saying is it worth the expense and headache?
IMO it isnt, to convert an OBD1.....

By the time you would buy reconditioned injectors, new sensors, Computer re-flashed A hughes RPM intake, Recondition the harness, install it, get it running your going to be into it for more then an aftermarket system with much more and better features.

If, we are talking about a 96 or newer truck, it may be a different situation.

96360 04-26-2019 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop (Post 3437047)

Toby,
Im not saying it cant be done......
Im saying is it worth the expense and headache?
IMO it isnt, to convert an OBD1.....

By the time you would buy reconditioned injectors, new sensors, Computer re-flashed A hughes RPM intake, Recondition the harness, install it, get it running your going to be into it for more then an aftermarket system with much more and better features.

If, we are talking about a 96 or newer truck, it may be a different situation.

My name is not Toby.

Otherwise, good thing your opinion has no influence on what others do with their truck.

Youre also talking about spending money that doesnt need to be spent with the swap. Like injectors. And as I stated, not all sensors need to be swapped. Just have to see what's what when someone would do it. Recondition the harness? Uh ya, no. Usually not going to be needed either.

An aftermarket system isnt going to have better and/or more features. Not sure where youre getting that from either.

HeyYou 04-26-2019 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 96360 (Post 3437049)
My name is not Toby.

Otherwise, good thing your opinion has no influence on what others do with their truck.

Youre also talking about spending money that doesnt need to be spent with the swap. Like injectors. And as I stated, not all sensors need to be swapped. Just have to see what's what when someone would do it. Recondition the harness? Uh ya, no. Usually not going to be needed either.

An aftermarket system isnt going to have better and/or more features. Not sure where youre getting that from either.

Don't really care what your name is, but, that particular statement is wrong, and unnecessary. After all, whose opinion do you think a typical new member is going to feel counts for more? Some rude low-post count newb? Or someone that has been here a while, and is respected for their knowledge, and helpful posts? You can argue your point, but, statements of that nature are NOT welcome here. We aren't the most tolerant bunch, and too much of that will get you banned.