1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Where to begin

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Andrew Malinowski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to begin

So when I bought my 96 Dakota someone had put a belt on that didn't run to the AC compressor. You can spin the center of the compressor so it's not locked up. Don't really know where to begin with getting the AC working" starting to get hot out" Should I just get a new belt and just turn it on to see what it does? Or is there a better way to diagnose the whole thing?

Old 05-19-2019, 05:23 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Step 1 - See what pressure, if any, is in the system. Use a proper manifold pressure gauge set, such as, say, this inexpensive set https://www.walmart.com/ip/Diagnosti...oses/119146883 .

Step 2a - if there's nominal pressure in the system (it should show some over atmospheric; without running, IIRC, you'll see like 80psi both sides), add the belt.

Step 2b - if there ISN'T any pressure in the system, plan on replacing the compressor, the evaporator, the condenser, the receiver/dryer, the expansion valve and all lines.

Or take it to a pro and expect them to.

If you ARE going to replace on your own, don't forget to get a decent vacuum pump ...
Amazon Amazon
includes the manifold gauge set, and isn't that much more than just a vacuum pump, so you might want to start with that instead.

I'd also pick up at least the factory service manual from the FAQ here; also a good Auto A/C training manual (such as maybe
Amazon Amazon
) and perusing it and the FSM completely before touching anything.

If redoing the system, add a new set of pressure switches (especially the low side/cycle control switch).

RwP

Quick Reply: Where to begin