1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1988 Dakota gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 04:44 PM
Aa Br
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Dakota gas tank

Will a fuel tank from a 1991 fit in a 1988 truck I ask because the sender went out I tried cleaning it it did nothing and my dad wants it fixed I can't find the sender for an 88 but can get them from an 1992 and a tank?

Old 06-24-2019, 10:37 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I just looked at RA and the fuel tank straps for the 88 and 91 are the same so at a guess the tank would fit. The issue I think you may run into is the 91 fuel pump may have a higher pressure output than the 88 is designed for.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:38 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

That, and I think the connectors are different.

What did you do to clean the sender? Did you also carefully retension the fingers?

RwP

Old 06-25-2019, 04:42 AM
Aa Br

Originally Posted by RalphP
That, and I think the connectors are different.

What did you do to clean the sender? Did you also carefully retension the fingers?

RwP
I used contact cleaner and a small soft wire brushand the fingers had a small hole worn in center so st put a drop of solder to fix it and still nothing. As far as pressure shouldn't regulator control pressure? And fittings I'll modify also the plug is a 5 pin different shape I also know I'll have to swap pigtail.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:41 AM
RalphP
Champion

No; the pressure of the FINGERS on the WIPER against the WIRE in the sender.

NOT the Fuel pressure.

Mine were sprung up when I redid mine.

I had to disassemble it; I used a dollar bill corner to polish the wire and the fingers; and I slightly bent the fingers to put the connection under mild tension again.

Easy does it; you don't want it binding, but you DO want it making contact.

Did you check to see if it was making contact?

But yes, the regulator on the throttle body should handle the fuel pressure fine. If it doesn't, an inline non-return regulator can be added; the injectors need 14.5psi to operate properly, so I'd look for about 20 to 50 psi as the output of a non-return regulator.

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 06-25-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 AM
Aa Br

Originally Posted by RalphP
No; the pressure of the FINGERS on the WIPER against the WIRE in the sender.

NOT the Fuel pressure.

Mine were sprung up when I redid mine.

I had to disassemble it; I used a dollar bill corner to polish the wire and the fingers; and I slightly bent the fingers to put the connection under mild tension again.

Easy does it; you don't want it binding, but you DO want it making contact.

Did you check to see if it was making contact?

But yes, the regulator on the throttle body should handle the fuel pressure fine. If it doesn't, an inline non-return regulator can be added; the injectors need 14.5psi to operate properly, so I'd look for about 20 to 50 psi as the output of a non-return regulator.

RwP
Yes the little prongs or fingers you describe had holes worn through so I filled them with solder to cover the hole so it makes contact with wire looming. I think there's a break in the wire loom as there's some corrosion. I figured I'd have to modify the fittings on the top of sending unit for fuel lines and electrical connection that's no problem I just don't know if physically the tank will fit in that's my only question.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:13 AM
RalphP
Champion

The tank will physically fit in all right.

It becomes a bit easier to cipher this out if you'll download the parts book for both your 88 and for the donor year truck from the FAQ here; it's amazing how few parts actually changed during the production run.

Note: If the part number changes, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't SWAP; change could have been a regulatory requirement (like newer filler necks may have had an anti-siphon valve added) or even a different manufacturer for the same part!

RwP

Quick Reply: 1988 Dakota gas tank