1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Shaking over ~40mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 09:12 PM
chasebh89
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shaking over ~40mph

95 Dak has some kind of shaking issue. It oddly enough happened after I got a rotate and balance done (I used to work in the shop and a friend was doing the work, I watched him so I can confirm the tires are balanced correctly) at first I suspected the hubs so I brought it back and lifted it. The passenger side tie rod is on its way out but it's not that kind of shaking. I can't feel it in the steering wheel, but I can feel it everywhere else. I had some front driveshaft problems with it so the front driveshaft is currently out of it but the shaking persists. I could have sworn it was the passenger front hub or one of the CV shafts, but I have it all torn down currently and the hub has almost no movement and the shaft is nice and tight. I'm going to replace it nonetheless and see if that works, if not I'll replace the drivers side also. Anyone know what else might be causing it besides hubs/CV shafts?

Old 07-22-2019, 10:01 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

35-40? That's where a LOT of U-joints kick in and vibe up the vehicle.

I'd check the joints in the rear drive shaft. Shucks, I'd just do them if you're not sure how old they are!

RwP

Old 08-17-2019, 12:57 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

Originally Posted by RalphP
35-40? That's where a LOT of U-joints kick in and vibe up the vehicle.

I'd check the joints in the rear drive shaft. Shucks, I'd just do them if you're not sure how old they are!

RwP
Replaced all the u joints on both axles and it went away, little bit of shaking left but I'm sure it's the tires with a couple broken bands. New issue is after I replaced spark plugs and wires it's suddenly running really rich to the point where it misfires. I'll be redoing the cap and rotor next week so hopefully that's the problem but it just feels like it has weak spark now.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM
RalphP
Champion

Triple check the firing order; check the run of the wires; and did you use the good wires or the cheap as **** wires?

RwP

Old 08-17-2019, 02:29 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

They're omnispark wires. Never had trouble with them before but I got the V6 set instead of V8. Had to use it cuz there were a few legit bad wires so I had to keep them. I'm fairly certain it's not a wire problem as I replace them one at a time and it ran fine even with the old wires. I tried swapping the only 2 I wasn't 100% sure about and I was right the first time so it's got to be a fuel issue

Old 08-17-2019, 02:32 PM
RalphP
Champion

Try putting the old wires back on then.

Also triple check that you didn't jar any of the other sensors loose while swapping wires.

Edit: And if that doesn't help any, pull the plugs one at a time and check gap and read them, see which cylinder(s) is/are acting up.

RwP

Old 08-17-2019, 02:49 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

I'll be replacing the distributor cap and rotor today also. Cyl 8 (pass side closest to firewall) spark plug felt stripped when trying to remove and reinstall it so I'm probably just going to leave it be unless I absolutely need to remove it. Hopefully I'm thinking they might be worn out and not delivering enough spark.

Quick Reply: Shaking over ~40mph