1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 09:18 AM
markcoronado
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed new front shocks & a new transmission mount & the vibration is still there.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:56 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 580 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by markcoronado
Yes I spun all the wheels and checked for run out & they all seem good.
I also moved the center support bearing over toward the drivers side to get it in a straight line from the trans to the rear end but that made no difference in the vibration.
I ordered a new trans mount & front shocks, I'll let you know tomorrow if they make a difference.
Did you watch the tread? I had a tire on my Impala that balanced perfect. It had a slipped belt and the tread would visibly wiggle when rotating. The tread moving sideways gave me fits until I noticed that.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:53 AM
markcoronado
Amateur

Yes I checked the tread & replaced the front tires because I saw some dry rot, & had all 4 balanced
I even switched the tires & wheels from my 94 Dakota & it made no difference with the vibration.
It's starting to drive me nuts, I've had 2 other mechanics look at it & their as stumped as me.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:38 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Have you had the driveshaft checked for balance?

When the sway bearing was replaced, did they double check that they keyed the two halves properly?

RwP

Old 09-13-2019, 11:23 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 580 Likes on 525 Posts

If you can find a highway with three lanes, have someone else drive your truck at the speed that makes it vibrate. You follow in another vehicle and watch the suspension and wheels when it starts. Three lanes means you can move back and forth. Eventually, you'll see something not moving like it should.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:27 AM
markcoronado
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
Have you had the driveshaft checked for balance?

When the sway bearing was replaced, did they double check that they keyed the two halves properly?

RwP
I replaced the center support bearing myself & to check the balance with the differential on jack stands I attached a piece of metal to the bottom of the differential with a magnet that I could put a glass of water on & watch the movement of the water while running it up to 100 mph.
The water was bubbling on the surface but not splashing up & down indicating that it's not out of balance.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 AM
markcoronado
Amateur

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If you can find a highway with three lanes, have someone else drive your truck at the speed that makes it vibrate. You follow in another vehicle and watch the suspension and wheels when it starts. Three lanes means you can move back and forth. Eventually, you'll see something not moving like it should.
Good idea, I'm planning on doing that tomorrow or maybe today if I get some time.

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota Vibration Problem