1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Shift linkage problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 10:46 AM
PBblaster83
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift linkage problem

I was doing an oil change the other day and I noticed a zip tie hanging down under my truck, I had seen it before but didn't think anything about. I decided to look at it closer and now I'd like to see if I can get some pictures of the stock shift linkage. Just noticed I didn't actually get a picture of the zip tie, it's a little lower and to the center. But it's on the end of a "pin" looked like in place of a c-clip. I followed the linkage up and found what's pictures. Shifting has always been a little rattly.

I'm not overly concerned, but I would like to know what to do to get this more "stock" and smoother. Thanks!

Old 09-18-2019, 11:52 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Replace the missing bushings.

I think they're still available from the dealership; however, Dorman does sell some replacements also. They just don't list them as such in the on line catalog ...

I needed 4 of 3575333 and 1 of 5211845 and 1 of 3575434 from the dealership. Pull down the parts list from the FAQ and check there for your year.

See https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...f-5211845.html for an exploded parts diagram showing which bushing goes where.

RwP

Old 09-18-2019, 01:59 PM
PBblaster83
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I don't know why I was thinking it would be harder than that.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:01 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The bushing in my 1993 Dakota got chewed up too. The truck wouldn't always start because the tranny linkage wasn't always in the correct position. The parts guy at the dealer tracked down the part for me. Wasn't especially easy to find so if you have/had trouble locating it ask your dealer parts guy. He happened to find two so I bought both of them (they were cheap). So now I have a backup.

Before

After

Old 09-27-2019, 09:12 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
The bushing in my 1993 Dakota got chewed up too. The truck wouldn't always start because the tranny linkage wasn't always in the correct position. The parts guy at the dealer tracked down the part for me. Wasn't especially easy to find so if you have/had trouble locating it ask your dealer parts guy. He happened to find two so I bought both of them (they were cheap). So now I have a backup.

Before

After
BTW, the part# was 5211845 for my truck. It was called a grommet-TR. Same as in Ralph's list.

I have a 93 Dakota LE, 5.2L, 2 wheel drive.

Quick Reply: Shift linkage problem