1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1st Gen front grille

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 06:42 PM
Dannysgottadodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st Gen front grille

Hey folks!
I've just purchase a beautiful old 1987 Dakota 3.9L. Fallen in love with her, and gonna fix her up.
It's my first project car, so sorry if this an amateur question.

The chrome grille is smashed and I'm looking for a new one, the part is discontinued, I've rung wrecking yards throughout the US and Canada with no luck. Dealerships can't find the piece anywhere either.
Does ANYONE know where I can find this piece, or if you guys have one for sale. I'll pay top dollar, just need it shipped to Alberta, Canada.
Alternativly, do all 1st Gen grilles fit the same? Can I buy an '87 - '96 grille and it'd fit no problem?

Thanks crew

Old 02-28-2020, 07:42 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

87-90 fits fine.

Check car-part.com and see if there's a boneyard close to you, or that will ship to you. I checked; they have the painted one in Canada (several sites), but not the chrome one. Which can be painted bright silver, so ...

The grill may be a discontinued part; my "usual suspects" don't list it anymore. ShermanParts.COM may show it, but it's non-responsive as I type this. It's a Mopar 4335141 for the chrome one, 4335140 for the one you paint body color. Those numbers may help to toss to Google.

(Those are the 1987 part numbers; later versions may be different and have different part numbers, but they'll bolt in until a 1990.)

For 1991, the front end was bubbled out a bit to make room for Chrysler Corp. to drop in a 5.2 V8; this affected the core support, grill, headlight doors, bumper, and hood (and several items inside the engine bay).

Some fascinating (to me!) history on the Dakota can be found at AllPar - https://www.allpar.com/trucks/dakota-1987.html

RwP

Old 02-28-2020, 09:01 PM
Dannysgottadodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for that!
I found a few of the original Argent/chrome and black ones with wreckers form Car-Parts. You are a lifesaver!
I do love a bit of history, especially some that can finally explain the soft top truck haha! What a special one that is.
Thanks again man!

Quick Reply: 1st Gen front grille