1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Advice/Help Needed - 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 - Fuel Pump Assembly Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 12:18 PM
Alexander Buck
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Advice/Help Needed - 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 - Fuel Pump Assembly Replacement

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1988 Dodge Dakota that is in need of a new fuel pump/sending unit assembly. The original pump/sending unit assembly (P/N: 4203884) has rusted beyond repair.

I've attempted to find a replacement for this fuel pump/sending unit assembly online, but I have been unsuccessful.

I have been able to track down aftermarket fuel pump/sending unit assemblies for 1991 to 1996 Dakotas. Would an assembly from these years fit the fuel tank of my 1988 Dodge Dakota? Both use five pin electrical connectors, albeit different types, though I would assume I'd be able to rewire the connector for the new assembly.

The plastic on the rollover valve (the bottom connector in the first picture) has broken off, but it seems as if this is part of the EVAP system and not required. Could someone confirm this? I am located in Georgia where emissions are not mandated.

Thanks in advance.

Fuel Pump Assembly Connections

Removing Fuel Pump Assembly from Fuel Tank

Rusted Fuel Sending Unit

Fuel Pump Assembly Removed from Tank

Last edited by Alexander Buck; 08-20-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added additional information.
The following users liked this post:
RalphP (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 01:37 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Rock Auto has a fuel pump. In the FAQ section there is a thread where someone rebuilt their sending unit. I do not remember what year pump assembly it was.
here ya gohttps://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/269286-diy-fuel-pump-or-fuel-gauge-trouble-shooting-no-dial-up-friendly.html

Last edited by onemore94dak; 08-19-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Alexander Buck (08-20-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 07:54 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 371 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Buck
Hi,

I recently purchased a 1988 Dodge Dakota that is in need of a new fuel pump/sending unit assembly as the original assembly has rusted beyond repair. I could probably get the pump to work, but the sending unit is completely shot.

After searching online, it's become clear that I will not be able to track down an exact replacement for the original assembly. P/N: 4203884

I've been able to track down aftermarket fuel pump/sending unit assemblies for 1991 to 1996 Dakotas. Would these assemblies fit the fuel tank on the truck? Both use five pin electrical plugs with the exception of the old plug being circular and the newer plug being rectangular, so I'd assume I could rewire the new plug.

Thanks in advance.
The problem is that where they fasten to the tank is a completely different design and the tank is completely different.

OTOH, you can find used 91-96 tanks in the boneyard sometimes; my master plan is to order a 22 gallon one from a 91-95 or 96, then swap my tank and fuel pump assembly out for the later one.

And then store a quality one on the shelf along with putting a new one in the truck.

I'm not sure what else will need to be changed; I THINK the filler neck; and I'll have to replumb the hoses a bit (need to use a 91-93 V6/V8 pump, or a 91-95 I4 pump, to get the return fuel system, for instance.)

RwP

Alexander Buck (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Alexander Buck
Amateur
Exclamation

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Rock Auto has a fuel pump. In the FAQ section there is a thread where someone rebuilt their sending unit. I do not remember what year pump assembly it was.
here ya gohttps://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/269286-diy-fuel-pump-or-fuel-gauge-trouble-shooting-no-dial-up-friendly.html
I took a look at the FAQ and found some helpful information. Thanks for the suggestion! Here's the link to the fuel assembly rebuild for future reference or if anyone else has the same question.

Originally Posted by RalphP
The problem is that where they fasten to the tank is a completely different design and the tank is completely different.

OTOH, you can find used 91-96 tanks in the boneyard sometimes; my master plan is to order a 22 gallon one from a 91-95 or 96, then swap my tank and fuel pump assembly out for the later one.

And then store a quality one on the shelf along with putting a new one in the truck.

I'm not sure what else will need to be changed; I THINK the filler neck; and I'll have to replumb the hoses a bit (need to use a 91-93 V6/V8 pump, or a 91-95 I4 pump, to get the return fuel system, for instance.)

RwP
I figured the mounting mechanism may have been different considering the tanks are different. As you've said, swapping tanks may be the way to go, and of course grab an extra just in case as they are somewhat difficult to come by.

I could probably get the pump to work with the original assembly, but the sending unit is the main issue. I've seen universal aftermarket sending units, and I am considering cutting a hole in the tank and installing a standalone unit rather than using the original assembly for both the pump and sending unit.

The plastic on the rollover valve (smaller outlet, circled in red) has broken off, but it seems as if this is part of the EVAP system and not required. Could someone confirm this? I am located in Georgia where emissions are not mandated. What is the larger outlet connected to? I can't seem to find a hose that goes to it.

Fuel Pump Assembly Connections

Last edited by Alexander Buck; 08-20-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:41 PM
RalphP
Champion

I think mine was capped; but I really don't remember on my 1988.

The sending unit may be repairable; I did mine, and it lasted another five years before it died again. (Hence my desire to swap to a 91+ assembly; the sending unit IS available for those, at least!)

RwP

Old 08-20-2020, 06:04 PM
Alexander Buck
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
I think mine was capped; but I really don't remember on my 1988.

The sending unit may be repairable; I did mine, and it lasted another five years before it died again. (Hence my desire to swap to a 91+ assembly; the sending unit IS available for those, at least!)

RwP
I might mess around with the sending unit and see if I can get it to work, but it's in pretty rough shape.

As you said, 1991 and newer assemblies are available, and in that case, I'll search around for a fuel tank. I've found a website with fuel tanks for sale.

As for the rollover valve, it's possible there may not be a connection on the larger flange and it could have been capped off for the 1988 models, but for future reference, here's a picture from the fuel pump rebuild thread that shows the hoses connected on a 1993 Dodge Dakota.

Rollover Valve Connections

Old 08-20-2020, 10:10 PM
RalphP
Champion

The 1993 is a different fuel pump assembly; I don't know where that goes.

Do notice the plastic ring that holds the fuel pump in place on the 1993; that's why we can't just drop it into our 1988s. Well, that, and a few plumbing changes ...

The small end goes to the fuel vapor line up to the carbon canister up by the radiator.

There IS one nice thing about our fuel pumps; there's a "DRAIN" fitting you can connect a pump to and suck the fuel out if you have to. Truck will run fine without it.

RwP

Quick Reply: Advice/Help Needed - 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 - Fuel Pump Assembly Replacement