1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1988 Dodge Dakota - Lightbulb Hanging Inside Dash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 11:52 PM
Alexander Buck
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1988 Dodge Dakota - Lightbulb Hanging Inside Dash?

Hi,

During the installation of an aftermarket radio inside of my 1988 Dodge Dakota, I came across a seemingly random lightbulb hanging inside the dashboard.

To my understanding, this bulb is wired to the headlight/dimmer switch. With the bulb disconnected, the gauge lights do not come on, and when the headlights are turned on, the radio briefly shuts off. With the bulb connected as shown in the picture, everything functions properly.

Other than being required for proper functioning of the radio and gauge lights, does anyone have any idea where this lightbulb belongs or what it is intended to illuminate? My best guess is that it was used to light up the factory radio controls.

I also found a picture of what seems to be similar, if not the same A/C controls in my truck. My A/C controls are somewhat dim compared to the picture, and in that case, could that be where the lightbulb is supposed to go?

Thanks in advance.

Lightbulb Inside Dashboard

A/C Controls

Last edited by Alexander Buck; 08-28-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:08 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Buck
Hi,

During the installation of an aftermarket radio inside of my 1988 Dodge Dakota, I came across a seemingly random lightbulb hanging inside the dashboard.

To my understanding, this bulb is wired to the headlight/dimmer switch. With the bulb disconnected, the gauge lights do not come on, and when the headlights are turned on, the radio briefly shuts off. With the bulb connected as shown in the picture, everything functions properly.

Other than being required for proper functioning of the radio and gauge lights, does anyone have any idea where this lightbulb belongs or what it is intended to illuminate? My best guess is that it was used to light up the factory radio controls.

I also found a picture of what seems to be similar, if not the same A/C controls in my truck. My A/C controls are somewhat dim compared to the picture, and in that case, could that be where the lightbulb is supposed to go?

Thanks in advance.

Lightbulb Inside Dashboard

A/C Controls
That bulb probably goes to the cigar lighter / aux socket to light it up. It may also go to the ash receiver, but I'd bet lighter.

The AC control is a burned out 74 bulb. There's three across there. I replaced mine with some 74 warm white bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
Alexander Buck (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 09:30 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Is that hanging loop a disconnected ground?

Old 08-29-2020, 11:07 AM
Alexander Buck
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
That bulb probably goes to the cigar lighter / aux socket to light it up. It may also go to the ash receiver, but I'd bet lighter.

The AC control is a burned out 74 bulb. There's three across there. I replaced mine with some 74 warm white bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.

RwP
I took the dash apart, and sure enough, there was a small cutout for the bulb over the ash receiver.

Thanks for the information on the A/C controls. Two of them are burned out. I'll have to get replacement bulbs.

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Is that hanging loop a disconnected ground?
It is, I had it disconnected temporarily.

Also, do you guys know what type of bulb the 'Maintenance Required' bulb is in the gauge cluster?

Ashtray Bulb

A/C Control Bulbs

Last edited by Alexander Buck; 08-29-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:40 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

194 type. You can leave it out, it's a reminder to service the EGR and other emmision components.

RwP

Quick Reply: 1988 Dodge Dakota - Lightbulb Hanging Inside Dash?