1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Intermittent Rough Idle/Backfiring/Sucking Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 11:08 PM
Winter139
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Rough Idle/Backfiring/Sucking Air

1995 Dodge Dakota with the 5.2L

Recently started having an issue where on start-up the vehicle idles like crap and spits/spudders/backfires if I give the vehicle any throttle.

When the issue happens, it is sucking a ton of air in through the IAC portion of the intake - You can hear it very loudly sucking air through the intake and confirmed this by removing air cleaner.

Basically, when I crank the vehicle over I know right away when it starts if it will do it because the vehicle seems to stumble into starting and I can see it on the tach.

The RPM's basically crawl from 0-600-800 area RPM. This results in the vehicle sucking a ton of air and any throttle makes the vehicle pop/backfire.

When the vehicle starts correctly it will start and the RPM ramps up to like 1500-1800 RPM and then idles back down to around 1000 RPM and then the vehicle runs great.

So lately I have just been starting the vehicle, and if it idles like crap, I shut it off and restart it until I see the RPM's ramp to that 1500-1800 during the engine firing up.

Changed IAC with an advanced auto replacement one.

Looked through all the vaccum lines and they all seem good.

The vehicle has no cat, and there is no CEL.

I don't want to start throwing every sensor in it to find out I am missing something, and I have found people to have similar issues but it seems the answers on the issue/solution vary a lot.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Intermittent Rough Idle/Backfiring/Sucking Air