1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 Dakota 2.5l won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 01:52 PM
James Rowen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Dakota 2.5l won’t start

I’m working on a 1995 dodge Dakota sport 2.5. It turns over and as far as I can tell everything works as it should. I replaced the coil, coil wire, distributor cap, rotor, and pickup, and all the spark plugs and wires. Still doesn’t want to start. Any help with identifying what’s wrong is greatly appreciated

Old 03-18-2021, 02:05 PM
Matthew Parlier
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Could be

Originally Posted by James Rowen
I’m working on a 1995 dodge Dakota sport 2.5. It turns over and as far as I can tell everything works as it should. I replaced the coil, coil wire, distributor cap, rotor, and pickup, and all the spark plugs and wires. Still doesn’t want to start. Any help with identifying what’s wrong is greatly appreciated
Im of the opinion you need fuel, spark, compression, and vacuum for a motor to run, maybe check the fuel line see if your getting fuel. All I got, sorry.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:42 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by James Rowen

Remove the air cleaner assembly and shoot some starting fluid into the intake. Crank it over. If it starts and runs a little then dies, you're not getting fuel. If it doesn't start, you have an electrical problem. Does the truck have any codes? You can do the key dance and then count the CEL flashes. You don't go to start, but you turn the key on, then off, then on, then off and then on and leave it on. If you don't bump the starter the computer goes into self test mode. You'll probably get a code 12. This tells you the battery has been disconnected in the last 50-100 key starts. 55 means end of session. Any other codes are the codes you want.

If it starts and dies, your fuel is the problem. It might be a fuel pump or maybe just a cheap, easy to replace fuel pump relay. Check the relay first. If you have a/c, the same relay is used for both. Swap them and see what happens.

The following users liked this post:
Matthew Parlier (03-18-2021)

Quick Reply: 1995 Dakota 2.5l won’t start