1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 dakota headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 05:44 PM
cassix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 dakota headlight issue

Hi all. So ive had my dakota for about 6 months without ant issues. My headlights were pretty dim so i bought the sylvania bulbs, the ones from autozone that come in the plastic case and are priced just above 50 bucks. I put those in and after driving for ten minutes, my headlights would just go out, just my headlights. I would flick to hi beams and they would go out unless i held back on the dimmer switch. This kept happening and it keeps getting worse. I thought i would switch back to the original headlights and they work and dont cut out but they are so dim and yellow i can barely see. Ive done some research and.found that 93 dakota dont have headlight relays so all that current goes right through the switch. Alot of people reported melting but mine arent that bad yet. So i was wondering if i used hids would that solve my problem? Or if someone could explain to me how to do wire in relays in a detailed description i would send you 20 dollars through venmo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-27-2021, 07:50 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Keep your $20.

Pick up one of these:
Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting H4 100W Heavy Duty Wiring Harness and Relay,BLACK: Automotive Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting H4 100W Heavy Duty Wiring Harness and Relay,BLACK: Automotive

Before you install them, repin the connectors like shown in this video:

Put both the red wires from that harness to the battery positive terminal (usually under the bolt that holds the cable to the terminal.)

Put the black wires to a good ground (there's usually one by the battery).

Plug the harness into one side headlight plug, run the long wire across to the passenger side (I did it between the radiator and the core support, going through the filler panels on each side - the hard rubberoid ones), plug the headlight bulb into that, plug the driver's headlight bulb into the connector by it from the harness.

Now.

Your circuit breaker on the headlight switch has already failed.

Go buy a new headlight switch ALSO (like this one AmazonSmile: Standard Motor Products DS357 Headlight Switch: Automotive ) and replace that while you're doing.

Now.

For brighter headlights - I bet your current housings are yellowed and cloudy.

I'd suggest saving up and picking up a matching pair of new headlights, such as AmazonSmile: Epic Lighting OE Style Replacement Headlights Assemblies Compatible with 1991-1996 Dodge Dakota [ CH2502105 CH2503105 55054715 55054714 ] Left Driver & Right Passenger Sides Pair: Automotive (caveat: I don't know about the quality level of these replacements) and replace the housings.

While doing that, consider the really bright headlight bulbs - at Ryan's guide to: Halogen bulbs - HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum Ryan recommends the Philips Racing Vision as the best bulb, the Night Breaker Lasers (which is what I use on my 1988 with the Hella conversion housings) as the second grade.

RwP

Quick Reply: 93 dakota headlight issue