1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Chrysler DRB Scan Tool & Mopar Diagnostic System Overview & FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 09:40 PM
Alexander Buck
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Chrysler DRB Scan Tool & Mopar Diagnostic System Overview & FAQ

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience with Chrysler's DRB II, DRB III, or MDS? My attention was originally captured by the DRB II and MDS as I was attempting to find a method to tune my 1988 Dakota to suit a forced induction system without replacing the factory PCM, and it appears it may be possible through the use of these devices.

There isn't much information online explaining the functionality of these tools, so I've started compiling a few resources in case anyone would like to learn more about them. These resources are attached at the bottom of this post.

After reading several forum posts, watching the MasterTech episodes below, and briefly reviewing the DRB III Features and Menus Manual, for starters, I've noted the a few of the capabilities of the DRB II and DRB III.
  • Read general OBD codes, similar to check engine light flash codes, along with a description of what the code indicates, and perform numerous engine tests.
  • Read transmission output logs and performing transmission tests.
  • Read live sensor data (air/fuel ratio, engine RPM, etc.)
  • Bleed brakes on ABS-equipped vehicles.
  • Reflash PCM and/or TCM via flash programming tool.
  • Digital Volt/Ohmmeter/Digital Multimeter (DVOM/DMM), (DRB III exclusive).
  • Reprogram odometer on digital gauge clusters(?).
Overall, the DRB II and DRB III adds user control and test functionality, as well as detailed descriptions of fault codes. These are advanced tools that significantly extends the ability to find, identify, and correct an issue with a Chrysler vehicle.

DRB II/DRB III Attachments, Accessories, & Cables
  • This list will be updated when more information is available.

FAQ
  • What was the predecessor to the DRB II?
    • Miller C-4805 (DRB I)
      • If anyone has information on the Miller C-4805, please let me know and I will update accordingly.
  • DRB Compatibility & Support Cards
    • Is the DRB II compatible with newer DRB III applications?
      • Yes, although you must have the correct support card for vehicle compatibility. Once more information is available, a list of compatible model years will be added.
        • Unlike the DRB III, the DRB II is not equipped with onboard memory and requires the correct support card to function.
    • Is the DRB III backwards compatible with DRB II applications?
      • Yes, although you must have the correct support card for vehicle compatibility. The list below reflects information found in Section 3-4 of the 2007 DRB III Features and Menus Manual (support may have been expanded since the publication of this document).
        • SuperCard1:
          • 1983-1993
        • SuperCard2:
          • 1994-1997
          • 1998-2000 FJ
          • Generic Scan Tool Software
          • PEP Utilities
        • ST22 Card:
          • 2001-2005
        • Crossfire Card:
          • 2004-2006
        • Sprinter Card:
          • 2003-2006
        • The DRB III is equipped with onboard memory, so it may also be possible to program limited compatibility for use without a support card. (Needs verification.)
    • wiTECH
      • Successor to the DRB III.
        • Maintains DRB III compatibility through DRB III emulation.
  • Mopar Diagnostics System (MDS)
    • How is the MDS used in conjunction with the DRB II or DRB III?
      • If anyone has information on the MDS, please let me know and I will update accordingly.
    • Software Updates & Compatibility
      • Similar to the DRB support cards, the MDS requires updated software in order to expand vehicle compatibility.
        • Once more information is available, a list of software versions, along with their compatible model years, will be added.
  • Does a decent DRB-equivalent alternative exist?
    • I've seen the SnapOn MT2500 mentioned as a potential alternative, plus it can be used on other manufacturers' vehicles in addition to Mopars.
      • Verification is needed on whether or not the SnapOn MT2500 is capable of the same functions as DRB devices.
Gallery

Late model DRB II with Super Cartridge I

DRB III

Mopar Diagnostics System (MDS)

Resources

DRB III Features and Menus Manual

Chrysler Fault Codes - List & Descriptions

DRB III Emulation

DRB II Teardown & Hardware Overview

Last edited by Alexander Buck; 04-07-2021 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:04 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The main problem is, the ROMs in the 1988 ECU are not field programmable.

There's hardware to fix that (swap for a EAROM/EEPROM); there's software to do the programming; but I've not yet found the proper support files to fit our ECUs.

(Google for MPTune and MPScan for the software; OSH Park has the bare boards the BoostButton used to sell stuffed before he got out of the business in 2018 or 2019.)

May I suggest investigating Megasquirt units?

Or possibly a Ford EEC-IV? There's actually support for programming one to work with a Dodge engine, and with the Moates QuarterHorse add in board, you can field tune on the fly to your heart's content.

RwP

Old 06-29-2021, 08:18 AM
RDC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miller Tool C-4805 (DRB-I) board scans and reversed schematic.

NOTE: The LCD and Switches have been removed from the boards to get better scans of them here.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MILLER TOOL C-4805 (DRB-I).pdf (109.1 KB, 116 views)

Quick Reply: Chrysler DRB Scan Tool & Mopar Diagnostic System Overview & FAQ