1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Steering intermediate shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 01:20 PM
Mr.E.Mann
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering intermediate shaft

I have a 91 base model RWD 5.2 and have replaced the front end components except for the steering intermediate shaft. I can’t find one anywhere. Does anyone know if a gen 2 shaft is compatible? I’ve tried to look it up here but keep being asked to sign into my google account. I don’t have an account for a good reason.
If anyone does know if the steering intermediate shaft is compatible between gen 1 and gen 2 that would be much appreciated to know. I can only find ones for gen 2 .
Thank You in advance for any knowledge about this!!

Old 09-19-2021, 02:25 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I had to make one from scratch for my truck ... your 1991 may be like the 92 and later steering shafts.

Lemme peek at the parts book first.

And oh, is your truck tilt, non-tilt, and 2WD or 4WD? The column choices vary a bit ...

If you'll pull down the parts list from the link in the FAQ message in the stickies at the top of the subforum list, on page 19-555 (or 615, whichever way you count it), it shows one upper coupling for all, and three lower couplings (2WD power, 2WD manual, and 4WD all).

There are your part numbers.

THAT said - if you measure, you may be able to buy Common Off The Shelf (COTS) parts from somebody like Classic Performance Products (who I bought from), Flaming River, Borgeson, or some other vendor (like a 3/4" DD shaft, some 3/4DD x 3/4-36 spline Ujoints or a Ujoint and a rag joint), and even a sliding collapsible 3/4DD shaft (probably need to trim and weld a bit, or find a 1"DD x 3/4-36 spline end, and still trim to fit.)

Here's the thread where I made one for my 1988, but the 1988 wasn't a collapsible shaft (all the collapsing was done in the upper column); by 1991, it was a slide design for part of the collapse in case of a bad accident.

1988 Intermediate Shaft - DodgeForum.com

RwP

Quick Reply: Steering intermediate shaft