1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Will whoever sent me the screwup fairy ..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 11:19 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Will whoever sent me the screwup fairy ..

PLEASE call him/her/it/them/zim/whateverthehell off and send them somewhere else????

Starter died today. Was trying to start, it grunted, made a horrible racket (was afraid it had lunched the torque converter!) and ... died. In my doctor's parking lot. THANKFULLY after all my work for the day.

So I find that O'Reilly's local hub has a bran'new Ultima starter (no, I won't use one of their reman'ed starters!)

Get a friend to pick me up, take me to the O'Reilly's, take me back with my jack and a jack stand.

Manage to get it started; it starts to spin and ... quits.

Turns out my starter relay ALSO has failed.

Bypass the relay, and it starts now.

Thankfully Standard makes a replacement, and depending on the # of terminals, the relay is between 17 and 25 dollars at O'Reilly's right now (albeit for an after market.)

I can get it fixed tomorrow morning with that.

*grumbles*

RwP

Old 09-28-2021, 01:05 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Addendum.

The water main burst on my street.

So now I've GoJo'ed myself as clean as I can with it; but have to go to bed as a feelthy derty old man

RwP

Old 09-28-2021, 10:29 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
PLEASE call him/her/it/them/zim/whateverthehell off and send them somewhere else????

Starter died today. Was trying to start, it grunted, made a horrible racket (was afraid it had lunched the torque converter!) and ... died. In my doctor's parking lot. THANKFULLY after all my work for the day.

So I find that O'Reilly's local hub has a bran'new Ultima starter (no, I won't use one of their reman'ed starters!)

Get a friend to pick me up, take me to the O'Reilly's, take me back with my jack and a jack stand.

Manage to get it started; it starts to spin and ... quits.

Turns out my starter relay ALSO has failed.

Bypass the relay, and it starts now.

Thankfully Standard makes a replacement, and depending on the # of terminals, the relay is between 17 and 25 dollars at O'Reilly's right now (albeit for an after market.)

I can get it fixed tomorrow morning with that.

*grumbles*

RwP
And I thought I had a bad day yesterday. At least I didn’t get stranded anywhere. And I didn’t have to play mechanic in some parking lot. Feel for yuh, Ralph.

Quick Reply: Will whoever sent me the screwup fairy ..