1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How Does ABS Work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 08:22 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
I知 not sure when the first 4WABS came out but it was before 2000.

Does that tone wheel in the bearing housing run top to bottom in the bearing or is it placed on only one end? I ask because I知 curious if a bearing can be installed/pressed in backwards.
I guess my experience doesn't involve specifically these trucks so I'm, what experience I do have is on 4x4 models with the unit bearings so you cant really install them incorrectly, my experience on 2wd axles with taper roller bearings there is a separate tone wheel on the hub itself, I cant say that specific to dodge though as I've never owned a 2wd ram, at least not one in an era that abs was even a thought

Old 12-10-2021, 08:30 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
I guess my experience doesn't involve specifically these trucks so I'm, what experience I do have is on 4x4 models with the unit bearings so you cant really install them incorrectly, my experience on 2wd axles with taper roller bearings there is a separate tone wheel on the hub itself, I cant say that specific to dodge though as I've never owned a 2wd ram, at least not one in an era that abs was even a thought
Yeah, I'm speaking about bearings that go into a hub knuckle, not a spindle. Clearly a spindle bearing would be tapered so it would be impossible to put it in backwards (or at least utterly ignorant).

Old 12-10-2021, 03:48 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

On my Cougar - the front tone rings are on the hub bearing assembly.

(On my Cougar, the rear tone rings are ... at the inside, at the differential, due to being an independent rear suspension.)

I'll have to dig into my 1993 book, make sure it also offered 4WAL.

RWAL was introduced about 1991 or earlier to make up for the discontinuation of the load sensitive proportioning valve. I WANT to say with the 1990 MY, but that's from memory and my books are at my house, not where I am.

RwP

Quick Reply: How Does ABS Work?