1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1989 Convertible Dakota Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 04:59 PM
blizzblang
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Convertible Dakota Starting issue

Just replaced the starter in my Dak, with an identical one from Autozone. That's the short version.
It's making this noise when is starts, and it doesn't stop:

I think this is the flexplate hitting the teeth of the starter, hard to verify thought. To test this I put washers in, as you can see, and it doesn't really help. It does drive 'normally' otherwise. That noise never goes away.

This began when my starter died. I've replaced that before on another Dakota. no problem. Now it makes that noise anytime it starts. Just in case I bought a new starter, and it didn't help. I fabbed a new wiring harness, didn't help either. This is a physical problem with the starter, or something else entirely. Hopping for some idea's before I take her in.

I checked all my spark plug cables too.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:05 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

My guess is the bendix isn't extending far enough or the flywheel teeth are rounded over. But that doesn't explain the run on

Old 01-22-2022, 09:25 PM
blizzblang
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take off the starter again tomorrow and try to take pictures. My first visual inspection didn't reveal any real damage, but I might be seeing the corners wear a little by now. Measuring clearances isn't easy either, but a screwdriver and sharpie might work. Listening to the video, you hear the sound before the engine fully kicks in - that might be relevant. It might be that this starter simply isn't compatible for some unknown reason. I'm not against trying another brand. I didn't mention but the first starter I bought wasn't a fit for the vehicle, last time I go to o'reillys.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:14 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

When I did this on my ram 50 I removed the viewing window and had to mark the flywheel then rotate the engine a little at a time so I could see all of it. Only one section of teeth were bad but that was enough to make it hard to start.

Quick Reply: 1989 Convertible Dakota Starting issue