1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need Help troubleshooting radio & radio wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022 | 12:11 AM
Reileymac1990
|
Default Need Help troubleshooting radio & radio wiring

Hey fellow Dakota owners,
I have a 96 with the Infinity Radio system. Replaced the radio today with a new modern head unit.
Everything is going well until I plug everything in for a test and I'm getting audio to the speakers but it clearly isn't being amplified. I can barely hear it.

So I realize I have the AMP ground plug disconnected by accident so I quickly ground that for my test and no change.
I tear the dash apart chasing wires and I find where the amp should be (I think) and the wiring loom is just hanging there. Not plugged in and no amp in sight.

The wiring harness I chased goes to the passenger side up above the glove box attached to the side of the truck. It looks like this (see photo) which does not match any photos I can find online of what the infinity amps plug looks like. Can anyone provide insight on what this plug is?
And secondly, is there a company that sells and adapter plug for an aftermarket amp? Is there a bypass you guys suggest? How would I wire in a new amp?

UPDATE: I've been doing tons of research and now I'm confused on another point. I see there was something called the Infinity Premium audio that did not have the word Infinity printed on the radio head unit (this is how my unit looks and I only have the Infinity emblem on the door) I see the Infinity Premium audio system speakers have amps on the speakers and they are powered via the choke relay switch so is there an amplifier in the premium system at all?

Thank in advance

Last edited by Reileymac1990; 04-10-2022 at 01:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Need Help troubleshooting radio & radio wiring