1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

NP231D Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 08:51 PM
RSKennelly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NP231D Transfer Case

I have a 1992 dodge dakota with a np231d and was wondering if anyone has done a SYE to their case and what it took to do. I’m looking at kits for 231’s but they all say jeep and the spline count is 6 higher than my trucks. My mainshaft is bent and needs to be replaced as well as the nose cone which cracked off completely. I’ll attach some pictures of the damage. This is the second time i’ve had a 231 case break on me(my first blew apart completely). This time was caused by faulty ujoints from the company i got my driveshaft serviced at. The front u-joint sheared in half and the shaft dropped and bounced back up into the case. Company won’t honor their 12 month/12,000 mile warranty either. I love this truck to death and don’t want it to die even tho it makes 8-10 mpg…

Attached Thumbnails NP231D Transfer Case-26ace99f-8eaa-4bbc-9cf4-ee577348c4a3.jpeg  
Old 06-08-2022, 08:54 PM
RSKennelly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more pictures of damage

the cracked off remnant of the nose cone

Bolt sheared off in pinion yoke was tapped and evacuated by myself.

old slip yoke looks to have hit the ground and cracked off

front u-joint sheared in half i don’t have a picture of the other broken piece of the joint.

rear ujoint was much bigger and heavier than the front. I think they pressed a lighter duty or 2wd ujoint into the front on accident.

Quick Reply: NP231D Transfer Case