1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dakota No Electrical Except Hazards

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 10:27 PM
Dakotadooooood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dakota No Electrical Except Hazards

94 Dakota SLT extended cab V6 4x4 has intermittent electrical problem. When it happens, all electrical dies EXCEPT for the hazard flashers. It will eventually come back but it may go out again when the key is turned to the "on" position or by pulling the light switch on causing a current draw. Then it eventually will return to normal and and may not happen again for months.
Battery has been swapped with known good battery. Battery cables appear good and good down to starter. All fuses pulled and checked for continuity. Relays under hood pulled and re-seated. I have wiggled under hood wires and checked ground to firewall. Anyone out there experience this same issue and have any suggestions please?
Edit Quote

Old 08-22-2022, 12:33 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Your post makes me think ignition switch.And probably light switch. IDK what I would change first.
I had to change out my light switch in 2019. It was suggested at the time that I put in this Putco relay system. https://www.putco.com/product/wiring-harness-and-relay/
I didn't then it went out again this past may this time I put in the relay system with the new switch. Here's the thread I started in 19. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...mp-switch.html
The Putco link in my old post doesn't work I looked up the thing from their site.

Old 08-22-2022, 04:19 PM
Dakotadooooood

Thanks for your suggestions. Someone else said ignition switch too!

Old 08-22-2022, 05:40 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakotadooooood;[url=tel:3549901
3549901[/url]]Thanks for your suggestions. Someone else said ignition switch too!
I had a situation where the key cylinder disintegrated and trashed the ignition switch. Had to replace both.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:38 PM
Dakotadooooood

It's weird because after a while, I'll open the door, and eventually the dome light will be on, then anything that causes a current draw, like tapping the brake, turning the key or pulling light switch will cause the dome light to go out and only the hazards will work. Nothing else. No elctrical power ANYWHERE...except hazards! Once when it happened, I tried the horn for current draw but didn't cause dome light to go out. As soon as I hit the brake pedal, all dead except the hazards. Im sure I've confused the heck out of anyone reading this but.... Eventually after a day or two maybe a week it will all be fully functional like nothing happened. But eventually, the cycle will continue! A gremlin in there someplace!

Quick Reply: 94 Dakota No Electrical Except Hazards