1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Pilot bearing sleeve direction on 92-95 L4 2.5L Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 12:50 PM
WhiskeyHammer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pilot bearing sleeve direction on 92-95 L4 2.5L Manual Trans

So I have an 89 but my engine appears to be a 94 or 95. While doing some clutch work the pilot bearing sleeve pulled out of the crankshaft and I didn't think to note the orientation of the sleeve as it came out.

There's a tapered side and stepped side on the sleeve. Image for refence below. The bore ID appears to have a taper rather than a shoulder and intuitively driving the tapered side in first makes a lot of sense. Intuition is a poor substitute for confirmation though. Does the stepped end or the tapered end get driven into the crankshaft? Unfortunately my service manual is for a 90 and the parts diagrams on sites like MoparGiant aren't detailed enough to see which end is leading the way.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:42 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

There is a 1995 service manual you can download in the FAQ section.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:04 PM
WhiskeyHammer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you looking at this in the future, that was the final clue.

I downloaded the 95 manual and it doesn't explicitly say which end of the sleeve goes first. There is however a requirement that rules out anything but the tapered end going in first. The pilot bearing has a rubber seal on one side, according to the manual that rubber seal needs to face the transmission. I've looked all over and from what I can see this bearing and sleeve assembly is only manufactured with that rubber seal on the untapered side so the tapered side would have to go in first. Given that there appears to be a matching taper in the bore and it's highly unlikely that the non-OEM manufacturer (namely National Bearing part number FC-69906) would flip the seal direction, I'm confident enough to commit here. Thanks onemore94dak for the final piece of the puzzle.

The following users liked this post:
onemore94dak (09-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing sleeve direction on 92-95 L4 2.5L Manual Trans