1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Can't find new valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 04:10 AM
Princess_Kota
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can't find new valve covers

Oil has been leaking terribly from my driver's side valve cover. It looks like a previous owner put in a Fel Pro gasket and overtorqued the bolts, bending the heck out of the valve cover because the gasket is so thick.I'm going to replace it with cork and I already have the gaskets on hand. I could do my best to try and straighten it out but I'd rather put some pretty new ones on so I never have to deal with it again. Anybody know where I can get new ones that are sturdier? There was a sticker on it with the numbers 4483 310 if that helps. It's a 3.9.

I've checked Summit Racing, Amazon, Rock Auto, Parts Geek, eBay and Google. If there are any key words that might help my search that would help too!

Old 05-10-2023, 05:53 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Might have to settle for a boneyard. I replaced my valve cover gaskets on my 5.2L about a year ago. Used a Fel Pro gasket. No problems. I believe the torque specs are fairly light. I recall when pulling my covers off several of the bolts were loose and could be removed by hand. Probably explains why someone would torque the hell out of them.

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 07:05 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Princess_Kota
Oil has been leaking terribly from my driver's side valve cover. It looks like a previous owner put in a Fel Pro gasket and overtorqued the bolts, bending the heck out of the valve cover because the gasket is so thick.I'm going to replace it with cork and I already have the gaskets on hand. I could do my best to try and straighten it out but I'd rather put some pretty new ones on so I never have to deal with it again. Anybody know where I can get new ones that are sturdier? There was a sticker on it with the numbers 4483 310 if that helps. It's a 3.9.

I've checked Summit Racing, Amazon, Rock Auto, Parts Geek, eBay and Google. If there are any key words that might help my search that would help too!

A small tack hammer and a block of wood can be used to gently tap the cover back into shape. Just take your time. One, it saves you money. Two, you get the satisfaction of making a proper fitting part. I replaced the gaskets on my Dakota recently and had to tap them flat. Oil consumption dropped dramatically.

Old 05-15-2023, 05:05 AM
Princess_Kota
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. I cleaned all the paint and gunk off of it with a polycarbide wheel and non-chlorinated brake cleaner, going to try heating it up a bit and gently hammering it flat today since I am willing to bet any junkyard one will likely have the same issue.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:16 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Princess_Kota
Thanks for the advice guys. I cleaned all the paint and gunk off of it with a polycarbide wheel and non-chlorinated brake cleaner, going to try heating it up a bit and gently hammering it flat today since I am willing to bet any junkyard one will likely have the same issue.

You can heat it up if you want, but you don't need to. If it's cast aluminum, it's cracked but sheet metal, which most are, will tap back into shape just fine without heat. I try to avoid heat as it changes metal composition and gas costs money.

Quick Reply: Can't find new valve covers